• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Larvae keep dying

crematogaster larvae eggs pupae dying

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Studio - Posted April 18 2019 - 2:33 PM

Studio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

This Crematogaster colony was doing well until they woke up from hibernation. They would feed their larvae until they're engorged and soon after they would just shrivel up and be removed from the nest. At first I thought it wasn't humid enough so I added some more water and they didn't seem to like it very much. Usually moving the brood to the top until it dried, same problem though. I been leaving it on the dyer side and they seem to like it more, but I can't seem to figure out the problem. They're being fed on honey and insects, they don't seem to like much of anything else. The queen is laying eggs and they're developing just fine, they just can't pupate.

37dphsZh.jpg?1

Edited by Studio, April 18 2019 - 2:33 PM.

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 18 2019 - 2:58 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Maybe try watering more, without over watering. My Crematogaster cerasi love their nest humid, but not wet. And they have over 100 workers. Went from 0 to 100 in 2 months.

#3 Offline Carpenter - Posted April 18 2019 - 3:52 PM

Carpenter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

This is a bit random but:

1. how much attention do they pay to the honey?
  2. are many workers in the nest full?
  3. do they go to the honey intermittently but do not really have gorged workers being used as storage? 

#4 Offline Studio - Posted April 19 2019 - 12:45 PM

Studio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Another larva just turned black and died last night. I'm just going to keep their nest damp whether they like it or not. I'm not flooding them or anything, but they really freak out when water starts to absorb across the chamber walls.

@Carpenter to answer your questions:

1. I usually see at least 1 worker fill up on it once a week.

2. Yes, they look full

3. Yes

These guys are the most picky ants I've kept.

#5 Offline Carpenter - Posted April 22 2019 - 8:02 AM

Carpenter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Another larva just turned black and died last night. I'm just going to keep their nest damp whether they like it or not. I'm not flooding them or anything, but they really freak out when water starts to absorb across the chamber walls.

@Carpenter to answer your questions:

1. I usually see at least 1 worker fill up on it once a week.

2. Yes, they look full

3. Yes

These guys are the most picky ants I've kept.

I recommend trying an alternate sugar source that has some salt in it, i had success with pancake syrup. With no salt for to long the ants will start to retain less and less water and therefore also less sugars and so they will slow down taking in food sources like pure honey ect. I'm just spit balling at this point but it's possible a threshold has been passed where some larva are not able to survive since salt/electrolytes are important for retaining water as well as controlling it's movement in the body  

I'm not suggesting the ants need a direct salt source, but rather should encounter it once in a while in very very tiny amounts I.E the tiny amount added to something like hummingbird nectar or pancake syrup to provide electrolytes / add flavor respectively 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crematogaster, larvae, eggs, pupae, dying

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users