• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What's the dumbest mistake you've made in this hobby?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted February 23 2015 - 8:51 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I'm not talking about experimenting or learning things the hard way, I'm talking straight up "I shouldn't have done that..." - pouring bleach in your colored wash, seeing how far you can walk with your eyes closed, pushing the red button that says "Do not push"...

I think mine was tonight. I had a Dorymyrmex insanus escapee the other day, still haven't figured out how (lid was probably not on tight). During the day I start thinking, what if there's some other gap and more get out? I come home and crap! They're all over the table! I start trapping each and every one, wondering how they got out. After a few minutes of inspection, I realize those are just the annual Linepithema humile invasion. Forget those turds and break out the poison. After feeding time, I see two that are not L. humile wandering about. Uh oh. I catch them and dump them in the Dorymyrmex nest. Mission accomplished.

About 10 minutes later, while watching the Crematogasters, I think, wow, they sure look like the escapees. Oh crap... Yes, I dumped two stray Crematogasters into the wrong nest. Thankfully they seemed to know they were out of their element and weren't hard to relocate. And the Dorymyrmex were too busy moving brood from under the feeding dish I just removed to realize they had invaders. It helps to #1 keep lids on tight and #2 identify before dumping!

If you claim to not have made a mistake, you're either lying or not immersed in the hobby :D

• AntsTexas likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline Alza - Posted February 23 2015 - 8:58 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I lost an argentine ant queen in my house, then opened the original test tube with the rest of the colony thinking they would find it e-e....

• AntsTexas and Canadian anter like this

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 23 2015 - 9:04 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

A lot of things...

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 23 2015 - 9:07 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I just finished making a really cool aspirator and decided it was time to give it a whirl. I headed over to one of my largest nests of Pogonomyrmex californicus and sucked up a few workers. That was when I realized I hadn't added the screen yet. luckily I was able to spit them all out before any of them stung me.

• Gregory2455, Foogoo, AntsTexas and 6 others like this

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 23 2015 - 9:10 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

You could have just used grains of rice...

• sgheaton likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline Foogoo - Posted February 23 2015 - 9:31 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

A lot of things...

Your best one?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#7 Offline dean_k - Posted February 23 2015 - 9:51 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

I once gave a live mealworm to my Myrmica colony. They had a big fight and the mealworm chopped a worker's antenna off.

Long story short, I chop it off now before giving it to colonies.

#8 Offline AntsTexas - Posted February 24 2015 - 11:00 AM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

buying a lot of stuff 2 put them in, before doing research on the ants i was trying/wanting 2 get :ugone2far: :facepalm:

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#9 Offline LAnt - Posted February 24 2015 - 6:15 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
Once had a dirt nest of L. humile and my dad knocked it over. That was the last of the dirt nests in the house. Not exactly my fault but worth putting here.

#10 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 24 2015 - 7:50 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I used sticks to connect ant farms (with my very first colony of ants, Solenopsis invicta) instead of tubes.

It worked well actually...until they got over 100,000 ants (in 6 months) and were dropping off the sticks like rain. That, and also, they had so many ants...they were stuck in eternal ant "circles" inside the ant farm because of lack of space. You know, like the ones you see army ants do in videos.

Not a good first ant, because they grew SO fast I had no idea what to do.

• Gregory2455 and AntsTexas like this

#11 Offline Michaelofvancouver - Posted February 24 2015 - 9:19 PM

Michaelofvancouver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Putting a live Lasius queen into my Camponotus modoc nest. The nanitics just scampered away instead of attacking her. Good thing the Camponotus queen snapped the Lasius queen in half before she could kill any nanitics.

Here's my leopard gecko/ant youtube: https://goo.gl/cRAFbK

My ant website.

It contains a lot of information about ants, guides, videos, links, and more!

If you have any feedback, please post here or PM me, don't be shy!

I currently keep:

Camponotus modoc

Formica podzolica

#12 Offline Crystals - Posted February 25 2015 - 10:40 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

buying a lot of stuff 2 put them in, before doing research on the ants i was trying/wanting 2 get :ugone2far: :facepalm:

I can relate to this.  I bought a lot of outworld containers for foraging areas and simply to put test tubes into.  I now have about 100 fancy 5x7x5" acrylic containers taking up a ton of room and only 3 are in use because they are so wide and I need to use heat cables due to low house temperature.

A couple of dumb mistakes?

Some of my Lasius had been escaping lately (300+ colony), although only wandered around on the dresser.  Then I found several Lasius workers in the bathroom and dumped them into the nest. While feeding an hour later I noticed that they had been killed.  Whoops, turns out they weren't from my colony after all.

Trying to dump 60+ Formica workers into a new test tube.  They gassed themselves out and I lost about 15% of them.  Considering the test tube was open and I had never had any issues with them and their formic acid I was quite surprised.

Forgetting to put the lid on my Flightless fruti fly colony....  Luckily I noticed my mistake about 2 min later and collected them all.

Dumping Formica aserva out of an extremely dirty test tube into a foragaing area that was (supposedly) connected to a new clean test tube.  Only to realize that the tubing was not connected.  Luckily I was trying to dig a stubborn worker out of the old tube when I noticed the first 2 workers who wandered out of the unconnected port.  I quickly re-connected the tubing and dumped the 2 workers back into the outworld.

• AntsTexas likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#13 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 25 2015 - 11:02 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I used sticks to connect ant farms (with my very first colony of ants, Solenopsis invicta) instead of tubes.

It worked well actually...until they got over 100,000 ants (in 6 months) and were dropping off the sticks like rain. That, and also, they had so many ants...they were stuck in eternal ant "circles" inside the ant farm because of lack of space. You know, like the ones you see army ants do in videos.

I actually want to try this, with ansmaller growing species.

#14 Offline Mathiacus - Posted February 26 2015 - 7:23 PM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

I tried to feed a live centipede to a M.brevinoda colony.. that boo boo cost me about 35 ants, about 1/4 of my total colony.

Edited by dspdrew, February 26 2015 - 8:13 PM.
Removed duplicate content.

• Manitobant likes this

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 26 2015 - 8:15 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I actually want to try this, with ansmaller growing species.

I learned that lesson. I always make sure to never have anything ants can climb on hanging over the edge of anything they are kept in.

#16 Offline Chromerust - Posted February 26 2015 - 8:32 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
I was moving a honeypot queen but it wouldn't come out of the test tube. So I flicked the tube a little harder and she disappeared into thin air. I never saw it again.
  • Foogoo likes this

#17 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 26 2015 - 10:39 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I was moving a honeypot queen but it wouldn't come out of the test tube. So I flicked the tube a little harder and she disappeared into thin air. I never saw it again.

Wow... I do not feel so bad about my test tube-queen failures anymore... thank you.

#18 Offline antmaniac - Posted February 27 2015 - 5:57 AM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Here are some pictures showing the making of my new formicarium, a work of art after hours of careful design, test and carve has finally come to fruition.

Front view with nest entrance.

20150221 151451

Side view, look at that perfectly carved interconnecting tunnel and holes just fit for the clippers. 

Back view, another set of nest. By the way, keep on reading before you yell this is wrong topic to post on.

A water tank, perfect for the water source.

Combined and fitted nicely.

Well, lets put it this way. It was a bit windy that day and I had to answer a phone call...

At least now I know why there are so much fuss over the terracotta army. 

Edited by antmaniac, February 28 2015 - 4:40 PM.

#19 Offline Foogoo - Posted February 27 2015 - 7:49 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Well, lets put it this way. It was a bit windy that day and I had to answer a phone call...

At least now I know why there are so much fuss over the terracotta army. 

:o Were you able to at least salvage the pieces and make smaller nests? That's an interesting concept though, how were you planning on keeping the ants in the nest?

#20 Offline ToeNhi - Posted February 28 2015 - 2:19 AM

ToeNhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBayArea, CA, USA
I've made a lot of dumb mistakes, but to sum the majority of them up, I would say I was impatient.

-ToeNhi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users