• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How do you clean and re-use a talus?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 30 2015 - 5:48 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

So my P. Californicus colony died, and I want to re-use the talus they were in for another colony, but I want to clean it and sterilize it first.  There is quite a bit of mildew in there (I think it got knocked into there when I moved the ants from their test tube and it grew in the talus like crazy).

If anyone has any ideas how to get rid of that mold and rejuvenate the talus, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 30 2015 - 6:08 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

It was just suggested I soak it in alcohol, then rinse with warm water, and let dry.  

Any ideas, thoughts, criticisms?  Thanks.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 30 2015 - 6:20 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
There is no way to "sterilize" and kill mold spores with alcohol alone. As I've said before, ethanol alcohol is a waste product of yeast, and can kill them, but not spores.

Only heat will kill the spores and sterilize. Is the thing made of glass? If so, it would make sense to me that it should be baked according to dry heat sterilization protocols. Google will help, there. Plaster must be dry or could cause glass or plaster to crack when heated.
  • Silvak likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 30 2015 - 6:44 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Thanks Terry.  I think it's plastic with ytong inside it.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#5 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 30 2015 - 6:54 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I usually swish some alcohol around in it. This last week I've been leaving them to bake in the afternoon sun. I'm hoping the heat and UV will kill some of the remaining bad guys.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#6 Offline Miles - Posted March 30 2015 - 7:01 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

There is no Y-tong inside of a Talus. It is a different, moldable material (that's all I know). 

I have seen some online content suggesting that UV light can kill mold spores. Is this true?

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 30 2015 - 7:07 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I'm not sure about the UV lamps, lasers, and ionization technologies they use in commercial UV sterilizers, but if sunlight killed mold spores, then I've got some bad news for the mushrooms on my front lawn.

Edited by drtrmiller, March 30 2015 - 7:07 PM.

• BugFinder likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 30 2015 - 7:09 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

There is no Y-tong inside of a Talus. It is a different, moldable material (that's all I know). 

I have seen some online content suggesting that UV light can kill mold spores. Is this true?

My experience from the water industry and years of being an aquarium nut is yes, but many variables including wavelength and intensity come into play. Which is why I'm hoping the heat will contribute to their death as well.

• Miles likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#9 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted March 31 2015 - 12:24 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Isn't it made from grout?

#10 Offline Crystals - Posted March 31 2015 - 12:34 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

...but if sunlight killed mold spores, then I've got some bad news for the mushrooms on my front lawn.

Hilarious.  :lol:

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#11 Offline Miles - Posted March 31 2015 - 2:48 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Isn't it made from grout?

No.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#12 Offline JakobS - Posted June 14 2015 - 5:25 PM

JakobS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationState College PA

I imagine BugFinder probably doesn't have this issue anymore, but for those of you currently with moldy Talus, or other founding chambers they sound like the perfect environment for hungry springtails or isopods to take over for a time. As they would eat the mold spores, the problem of spores being leftover after use of various chemicals is not an issue. And, since many ant species we work with are claustral, they can stick around when the founding queen is introduced into the springtail/isopod cleaned chamber and not be decimated by a hungry ant!  True, since it appears that isopods maybe annoying to some ants, springtails would be better in going forward. This allows for a mold free chamber while the queen lays her eggs, and snack for her young when they appear. For semi-claustral queens, they can be replenished when she or her young decide to prey on them as well. It may take a little longer than simply washing, but its neat to see one insect clean up after another!

Edited by JakobS, June 14 2015 - 5:54 PM.

• Myrmicinae and LC3 like this

#13 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 14 2015 - 5:58 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Got any pictures of what they look like in the wild?

#14 Offline JakobS - Posted June 14 2015 - 6:20 PM

JakobS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationState College PA

I do not have a photo of them personally, but if you search for photos "springtails in soil" they should provide a good idea. They can be rather small, as many thousands will be found within a square foot of soil. And though you can easily collect them from the wild, many reptile supply stores have them in cultures to add to vivariums as janitors and food for their lizards, geckos etc. 

#15 Offline BugFinder - Posted June 14 2015 - 6:23 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I imagine BugFinder probably doesn't have this issue anymore, but for those of you currently with moldy Talus, or other founding chambers they sound like the perfect environment for hungry springtails or isopods to take over for a time. As they would eat the mold spores, the problem of spores being leftover after use of various chemicals is not an issue. And, since many ant species we work with are claustral, they can stick around when the founding queen is introduced into the springtail/isopod cleaned chamber and not be decimated by a hungry ant!  True, since it appears that isopods maybe annoying to some ants, springtails would be better in going forward. This allows for a mold free chamber while the queen lays her eggs, and snack for her young when they appear. For semi-claustral queens, they can be replenished when she or her young decide to prey on them as well. It may take a little longer than simply washing, but its neat to see one insect clean up after another!

Actually, I have three used taluses.  One is really moldy, the other two are slightly moldy and getting worse.  I would love to put springtales in them.  Where do you suggest I get some?

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#16 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 14 2015 - 7:44 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I have a nice big springtail culture in one of my usual constantly hydrated containers (http://www.formicult...ingtail-culture). All I have to do from time to time is sprinkle some fish food in them so a little mold grows and they get fed. Springtail cultures are pretty easy to make, just look online. I sprinkle springtails into anything damp that I want to remain mold-free.

• Myrmicinae and BugFinder like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users