• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2454 replies to this topic

#141 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 22 2015 - 1:02 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I was looking at radar. :blush:  This tool looks useful.  http://data.cocorahs...y=usa&state=ca 

• SirAnticus likes this
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#142 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 22 2015 - 2:41 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That is a pretty cool map. It would be good for rain over larger areas. When it's very spotty like a lot of the thunderstorms in the desert are, the radar is the only way to be able to tell EXACTLY where it rained all the way down to the cross roads.

#143 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 23 2015 - 6:13 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Almost 100 percent chance of around .5 inches of rain forecast for Mt. Baldy today, and then temps over 80 by Tuesday. This location will definitely be added to my trip. I took Monday and Tuesday off.

#144 Offline Crystals - Posted April 23 2015 - 6:31 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

For those in more northern locations where the snow just melted, don't be jealous, our time is just starting.  Start turning over rocks and stuff.

It is prime time for us northerners to find founding queens who dug under a rock for hibernation.

Try between 11am-5pm, most founding queens - or queens with 1-8 workers, are just beneath the rock trying to warm up.

In the last week alone I have found lone queens (with or without workers), my finds total 3 Formica queens (all podzolica - not surprising in my area), 1 Myrmica colony, 2 Lasius queens.  Most were under stepping stones that we were moving.

I did not collect any as I either already have that species, or I was not interested in collecting that species.

If everything goes the same way this spring as it did the last 2 springs, in 2-4 weeks I expect to see some queens who flew last fall to start running around as they abandon, or get chased out of, their founding chamber.  I see this a lot with Formica.

For all those people in California who have been bragging about all those flights and showing off all those queens, how does it feel when a month or so later us snowbound people loose our snow and can just turn over rocks and logs and find most species that flew in August or later?  :P  :D

In locations that get snow for winter, ants do not need to dig deep as the ground stays damp.  In fact, come spring, the closer to the surface they are, the faster they warm up.  Many of those locations don't see founding chambers very often since there is little open bare ground.

In locations that don't get snow, they tend to have a dry season, so the founding queens tend to dig deep and dig fast.  They are more likely to have open bare ground and are much more likely to find founding chambers.

• Ants4fun, Jonathan21700 and 100lols like this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#145 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 23 2015 - 7:31 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Thanks, I needed some encouragement!!

#146 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 23 2015 - 8:21 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Almost 100 percent chance of around .5 inches of rain forecast for Mt. Baldy today, and then temps over 80 by Tuesday. This location will definitely be added to my trip. I took Monday and Tuesday off.

Keep us updated on what you find where! I'm already taking a staycation in a few weeks which I'm hoping to visit some of the hot spots on your maps .

Edit: For everyone that's heading out, Solenopsis may be flying as well. I base this on the colony I found last week with tons of alates and this excerpt: "Mating flights in S. invicta usually take place on warm mornings the day after a heavy rain. (Morrill, 1974)"

Edited by Foogoo, April 23 2015 - 8:35 AM.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#147 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 23 2015 - 12:09 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

gallery_2_393_82859.jpg

Orange and red = Queens :D

#148 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 23 2015 - 1:06 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

You're heading out there Monday? I'm really tempted to go but I don't think there's time...

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#149 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 23 2015 - 2:48 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Seems there was some rain this morning about an hour drive from my house.  I've never been to Neenach.  Wonder if it would be good..

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#150 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 23 2015 - 7:12 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah it really poured in that area. I would go there after it warms up quite a bit and look for founding chambers.

#151 Online Wamdar - Posted April 23 2015 - 8:19 PM

Wamdar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I'll be heading up that way sunday, I'll report back here what I find

• PTAntFan likes this

#152 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 24 2015 - 6:31 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

At this point (and there might still be more rain that could possibly change things), I'm probably going to the Phelan/Adelanto area starting early in the morning Tuesday and through most of the day, then going to Mt. Baldy in the evening and staying until late night. I'll probably stay the night there and then drive to Lucerne Valley Wednesday morning to spend the day there, and then go back home through the Big Bear area after dark, stopping at a few places like Angelus Oaks along the way. If anyone wants to meet up somewhere along that loop, let me know. Chromerust will be with me the first day.

#153 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 24 2015 - 6:41 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Depending on what Wamdar reports back with, I am feeling like I'm coming down with a cold or something on Monday...

#154 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 24 2015 - 6:50 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah you never know. :lol:

#155 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 24 2015 - 11:36 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Doesn't look like much happened between Neenach and Adelanto area, so if things work out, I may just shoot up the 15, explore west a bit then retrace back home.

Edit: On your desert trips, do you just randomly stop at open spaces? Or do you aim for streams, brush, or any other indicators?

Edited by Foogoo, April 24 2015 - 11:37 AM.

#156 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 24 2015 - 1:02 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Doesn't look like much happened between Neenach and Adelanto area, so if things work out, I may just shoot up the 15, explore west a bit then retrace back home.

Say what?

gallery_2_393_45868.jpg

EP-150429879.jpg&MaxW=650&MaxH=650

http://www.vvdailypr.../NEWS/150429879

Don't need anything more than that. Heat of course, but that is definitely on the way.

Edit: On your desert trips, do you just randomly stop at open spaces? Or do you aim for streams, brush, or any other indicators?

We find places where there is no fencing and no "no trespassing" signs, so long as it's somewhere within the yellow to red areas on the radar map screenshots. I'll be posting them all up on this thread (mainly for myself, so they're easy for me to pull up on my phone while I'm out).

#157 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 24 2015 - 1:24 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Wow, that must have been a quick blip that slipped past my Wundermap animation. Great tips, as I noticed most of the bare land is non-BLM, though I wonder who would really care (or check).

#158 Online Wamdar - Posted April 24 2015 - 1:42 PM

Wamdar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I've only got a 2x4 and i'm not about the make the news...there are little pull off area's that have a lot of moto tracks and whatnot..I'd start looking there..

#159 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 24 2015 - 2:14 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Wow, that must have been a quick blip that slipped past my Wundermap animation. Great tips, as I noticed most of the bare land is non-BLM, though I wonder who would really care (or check).

As I understand it, unless there are signs posted, or a fence protecting it, you can walk around on private property until someone in authority over the property asks you to leave.

I've only got a 2x4 and i'm not about the make the news...there are little pull off area's that have a lot of moto tracks and whatnot..I'd start looking there..

Usually by the time I get out there, the mud has hardened quite a bit. As long as you don't drive directly into a puddle of mud you're fine.

#160 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 24 2015 - 9:12 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I'm thinking Arrowhead area and maybe Wrightwood on Sunday.  Both spots got rained today, Wrightwood reporting almost 1/2 inch.  http://www.cocorahs....b1-1284bd6e2e48

And Wundermap area shows a couple recurring yellow splotches today right along the 18 HWY. 

Anyone every have luck up there?  Should be some beautiful sites if I strike out on ants. I suppose it's probably too cool that high up for activity?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users