• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is it ok to rehibernate?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Michaelofvancouver - Posted February 17 2015 - 5:23 PM

Michaelofvancouver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationVancouver

So, I took my Camponotus colony out of hibernation nearly three weeks ago, and the queen laid eggs which are now small larvae, but the ants still aren't foraging (they haven't accepted any protein, and no sugar sources). They still have pretty full gasters, so I'm thinking of putting them in a cooler with some ice cubes, but will that kill the larvae?

I was thinking of rehibernating them for two weeks or so.

Edited by Michaelofvancouver, February 17 2015 - 6:18 PM.

Here's my leopard gecko/ant youtube: https://goo.gl/cRAFbK

My ant website.

It contains a lot of information about ants, guides, videos, links, and more!

If you have any feedback, please post here or PM me, don't be shy!

I currently keep:

Camponotus modoc

Formica podzolica

#2 Offline Mercutia - Posted February 17 2015 - 8:02 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

If they're still a young colony, don't expect them to forage often. They will only venture out when needed. I find Camponotus to be very passive when they have a small amount of workers. You can hibernate them again, but I don't see this as being necessary.

#3 Offline Foogoo - Posted February 17 2015 - 9:37 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I've noticed the same thing, glad I'm not the only one. I see evidence of their foraging so I can only assume (and hope) they're getting enough food for the larvae.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#4 Offline Michaelofvancouver - Posted February 18 2015 - 3:49 PM

Michaelofvancouver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationVancouver

If they're still a young colony, don't expect them to forage often. They will only venture out when needed. I find Camponotus to be very passive when they have a small amount of workers. You can hibernate them again, but I don't see this as being necessary.

I don't see any sign of foraging at all, for example, I've never seen a worker even go near an entrance, and the insects I give them haven't even moves. 

Rehibernation won't kill the brood right?

Here's my leopard gecko/ant youtube: https://goo.gl/cRAFbK

My ant website.

It contains a lot of information about ants, guides, videos, links, and more!

If you have any feedback, please post here or PM me, don't be shy!

I currently keep:

Camponotus modoc

Formica podzolica

#5 Offline Chromerust - Posted February 18 2015 - 4:57 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
It sounds like your ants are not doing what you want them to, so somehow you believe you can manipulate the situation. I don't know if it's ok to force them to hibernate again, and I don't think anybody can tell you if it's safe. Unless you are watching them 24/7, it doesn't mean they don't come out ever. My recommendation is to let them do what they want, the ants know what's best for them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users