• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius Neoniger Queen Care

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline VictorianAntParty - Posted August 30 2018 - 12:15 PM

VictorianAntParty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

So I set out this year to actually try and capture Camponotus pennsylvanicus queens but ended up having literally THE WORST time trying to catch any queen ants all year. I finally gave up about a month ago and figured this wasn't the year for me to start up my first any colony and left it to  that, they Saturday happened. I walked out of work to a swarm of ants, young queens covering the ground with wings ripped off their backs. I felt like maybe this was mother nature throwing me a bone and finally giving me some ants, not the species I wanted but perhaps the species I needed as a newbie ant keeper. I caught up 6 queens and eagerly set up their tubes to start their colony. Then I went on the search to see what species they are. It's confirmed they are Lasius Neoniger and I read they will not start laying until next year in the spring. That leaves me to question, I know I will have to hibernate them for 3 months so they can keep on their natural cycle and lay eggs in the spring but what do I do for care now? Can I feed the girls in their tubes? I can't imagine they will have enough energy stored up for up to 8 months and still lay eggs so I assume I need to feed them up until the 3 month hibernation. I was totally expecting a species that would get right to the laying asap rather than have to wait until spring to have eggs and larva to fawn over. Until spring I just want to set my girls up for the best going into hibernation and then coming out of it ready to lay. 

#2 Offline Major - Posted August 30 2018 - 1:58 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Here's a care sheet. Also, my Lasius Neoniger layed, and it's her first year. Depends on how late you catch her.

http://www.formicult...asius-neoniger/

#3 Offline dermy - Posted August 30 2018 - 2:23 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

If they do not lay and you wish to hibernate them, you can easily get away with just 3-4 months, not the whole 8 month Winter period! 8 months might not make them last a lot [they can but they will need to feed when you wake them up].

• VictorianAntParty likes this

#4 Offline VictorianAntParty - Posted August 30 2018 - 5:35 PM

VictorianAntParty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks, that was kind of what I wanted to know since they hibernate normally before they lay and since I got them already at the end of August I don't think they will lay eggs. I was afraid they would not make it a full 8 month hibernation since naturally in my state it's virtually winter from October to sometimes May. 

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 31 2018 - 5:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

You're lucky, bro!

I really would like to find one of these queens. If I live in Virginia, should I expect them a little later than Labor Day?

-Andrew

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users