• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Outside Ottawa, 2pm August 29 2018

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ikerrilove - Posted August 29 2018 - 11:59 AM

Ikerrilove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario, Canada

Queen was found digging in the wet dirt between the 2nd floor deck boards after rain earlier.

Near a river, near woods also, lots of green lawn and trees and a rocky shoreline

8mm (from head to end tip of gaster, is this correct or do we not include the gaster?)

Brown with a shiny/iridescent gaster (honey brown) seems fairly smooth, 

The shine on her gaster reminds me of a hologram or tigers eye stones

Pretty quick and sensitive to light, large eyes, spikes on her leg joints, no issues walking on glass

Nest unknown and we have a bit of everything here. 

Nuptial flight unknown but she was digging her chamber around 2pm

Today is wet and steamy, nights and mornings are cool, lots of dew on the grass but no frost yet. it's about 79F 

If there is anything I've missed or could have added, please let me know so I can give better descriptions. Thanks.

August 29 Wednesday 018
August 29 Wednesday 057
August 29 Wednesday 002
August 29 Wednesday 081

#2 Offline dermy - Posted August 29 2018 - 12:02 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

The lighting could be much better since I can't make out much colouring and such. My best guess would be Lasius sp. It's their time to fly in Canada.

• Ikerrilove likes this

#3 Offline Ikerrilove - Posted August 29 2018 - 12:09 PM

Ikerrilove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario, Canada

Lighting is definitely next on my list of things to figure out with this camera. The flash washed everything out but I think that was from the paper underneath. 

I seem to be getting a bit better with the manual focus, automatic sucks when taking pictures in the yard.

I'm just hoping that since she was digging her own chamber, that means she's not a social parasite, which is all I've found here so far for Lasius. 

#4 Offline dermy - Posted August 29 2018 - 12:15 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Lighting is definitely next on my list of things to figure out with this camera. The flash washed everything out but I think that was from the paper underneath. 

I seem to be getting a bit better with the manual focus, automatic sucks when taking pictures in the yard.

I'm just hoping that since she was digging her own chamber, that means she's not a social parasite, which is all I've found here so far for Lasius. 

Well I'm not 100% sure since I'm not an expert on Lasius parasitic queens, but it looks like a Fully Claustral queen to me. It may or may not require hibernation this late in the season though.

#5 Offline LearningAntz - Posted August 29 2018 - 1:29 PM

LearningAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSherwood Park, AB (Canada)
It’s definitely fully-claustral. We’d need pictures of the scapes and the teeth to narrow it down to the species of Lasius.
  • AntsAreUs and Ikerrilove like this

#6 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 30 2018 - 5:01 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

neoniger or flavus group Lasius.

• Major and Ikerrilove like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users