• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Camponotus sansabeanus Journal [144] (Updated 6-11-2023)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 6 2019 - 6:20 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 6-6-2019

I found a bunch of these in Pinon Hills on April 7th 2019. They all laid eggs right away.

They started getting their first workers a little over a week ago.

gallery_2_152_869653.jpg

Update 8-4-2019

I still have a bunch of these and they're doing quite well.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 10 2020 - 2:06 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 5-10-2020

The colonies I got last year in Pinon Hills, CA are doing great still. I sold a lot of them, but for now decided to keep four of them. The four I'm keeping all have about 60 workers each.

This is the three kept in my small starter formicariums. I took this photo yesterday when I went to feed them and found all three colonies with every single member of the colony inside their nests sitting perfectly still. These things go nuts when you open their enclosure, so I took this opportunity to open the lids extremely slowly and fill up their feeders without a single one trying to escape. I like to see some colonies of ants using the formicariums I designed as intended for once. :)

gallery_2_152_1132820.jpg

This is my favorite of the four since it has the most majors.

gallery_2_152_493221.jpg

gallery_2_2207_352758.jpg

Around the end of April, I found a bunch more of these queens a little ways down the desert side of the San Bernardino mountains.
  • ANTdrew and BleepingBleepers like this

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 15 2023 - 7:06 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 4-8-2022

I found a bunch more of these queens at the same spot as last time. I sold all the previous colonies except the largest one.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 24 2023 - 7:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 6-24-2023

The largest colony died off about a year ago.

I ended up keeping one of the colonies I got in 2022 which now has about 15 workers.

• 100lols likes this

#5 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted June 25 2023 - 5:55 AM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York
Pretty Camponotus

#6 Offline Yourbasicantkeeper - Posted June 25 2023 - 7:30 AM

Yourbasicantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSan Carlos, California

Wow! Those are beauties!

"I am here on Earth, and I am only a speck of sand in the desert, a blade of grass in a field. I am no greater than any one of these busy ants who build for each other's comfort. " - King Solomon

Currently keeping: Myrmecocystus Depilis, Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Wishlist: Camponotus Ocreatus

#7 Offline 100lols - Posted August 8 2023 - 2:35 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
I have a colony of this species with about 6-8 workers. They’re so aggressive compared to my C. ca02 girls. Love to watch them stand guard!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users