• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Will Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Nest in Dirt

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Scoob - Posted August 24 2018 - 6:54 AM

Scoob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

So, I have a carpenter ant colony that is about to get its first workers and i really would like to set them up in a Ants Aus outworld. However, I wanted to know if they would dig in soil or if I would need to put in a big piece of wood for them

#2 Offline ZllGGY - Posted August 24 2018 - 6:58 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

they should definitely be able to dig and nest in dirt

• Scoob likes this

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#3 Offline Scoob - Posted August 24 2018 - 7:04 AM

Scoob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

they should definitely be able to dig and nest in dirt

thanks so much!

#4 Offline Major - Posted August 24 2018 - 7:05 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Ants from the genera Camponotus tend to create and establish their colonies in rotten wood. Though, I have seen Camponotus Novaeboracensis living in soil, it's just not very common and nit their preferred habitat. They would choose wood over soil any day. Just make sure to bake (sterilize) anything you bring from outside to use for their nest!

They are most definitely capable of digging in soil, just it wouldn't be a nest very suited to their specific needs. I would go with a chunk of wood that has plenty of holes in it, sterilize it, and then give it a go! If the don't seem interested, just keep on experimenting with various different habitats and humidity levels.

#5 Offline Scoob - Posted August 24 2018 - 7:28 AM

Scoob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Ants from the genera Camponotus tend to create and establish their colonies in rotten wood. Though, I have seen Camponotus Novaeboracensis living in soil, it's just not very common and nit their preferred habitat. They would choose wood over soil any day. Just make sure to bake (sterilize) anything you bring from outside to use for their nest!

They are most definitely capable of digging in soil, just it wouldn't be a nest very suited to their specific needs. I would go with a chunk of wood that has plenty of holes in it, sterilize it, and then give it a go! If the don't seem interested, just keep on experimenting with various different habitats and humidity levels.

I will try to find something for them, the reason i asked was because I haven't found any pieces of wood that would fit in the enclosure while being suitable for making nests, but I am still trying to find something 

#6 Offline ZllGGY - Posted August 24 2018 - 7:56 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

I will try to find something for them, the reason i asked was because I haven't found any pieces of wood that would fit in the enclosure while being suitable for making nests, but I am still trying to find something 

Try buying some cork bark pieces and putting them together

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#7 Offline Ikerrilove - Posted August 24 2018 - 6:59 PM

Ikerrilove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario, Canada

I've seen Camponotus novaeboracensis nest in old rail road ties around a garden in our yard. The wood is almost buried at this point,  it has been in the ground being watered over and over for a few decades now. They seemed to be living in both the wood and the soil around it. Maybe try a bit of both? My Dad's a messy gardener who seems addicted to tomato bushes and lettuce but the only plant they mess with is the old rhubarb no one bothers to do anything with growing in the corner.

What about finding something that's soft and rotten enough you can break it into many smaller pieces? Layer pieces of that over some soil so they have lots of shaded, hidden spots plus the dirt to play with. Would give them extra space to wander around also.

I'm just not sure how dry the soil should be. My dad really likes to water back there but I haven't heard of them liking high humidity. 

#8 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 24 2018 - 7:13 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California
I believe that Camponotus pennsylvanicus are arboreal ants, so that piece of wood would still be ideal.
  • Major likes this

#9 Offline CampoKing - Posted August 25 2018 - 6:34 PM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado
I want to add my own suggestion: i like using coconut fiber for Carpenters. It provides the stable humidity they need without being a high mold risk. The only downside is it doesn't hold shape well, so coconut fiber is better as a floor substrate where the eggs/larvae can stay hydrated. They "could" build tunnels and galleries in coconut fiber, but they can collapse if the habitat is moved. You can buy the stuff at pet stores.
Here's a photo of one of my claustral queens doing just fine with coconut fiber:

20180626_210656.jpg

Edited by CampoKing, August 25 2018 - 8:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users