• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hot glue gun safe for ants?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 22 2018 - 10:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Hi!

I was wondering if using a hot glue gun was safe for gluing things used for ant keeping? I'm thinking of making liquid feeders by gluing mesh to small containers.

Thanks!

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 22 2018 - 2:50 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Ya, it's totally safe. The only problem is that it doesn't stick well to smooth surfaces, and will definitely come off with any slight amount of moisture.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 23 2018 - 6:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Thanks! How about superglue?

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#4 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 23 2018 - 5:05 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Haha, I just did this actually. The hot glue is fairly water tight and I often just set the feeder on a paper towel to capture the little liquid that does escape. For the most part hot glue is a great alternative to having to buy anything such as  "aquarium grade silicon". #PoorPeopleAntHacks

(Been using for about a week, no real leaks yet.)

Edited by AntPhycho, August 23 2018 - 8:18 PM.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 24 2018 - 3:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Good to hear! I wonder if sanding the acrylic I'm hot gluing to would help it grip a bit better?

#6 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 25 2018 - 9:59 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Good to hear! I wonder if sanding the acrylic I'm hot gluing to would help it grip a bit better?

Yeah that sounds like it should work a lot better.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#7 Offline DaveJay - Posted August 25 2018 - 5:50 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
Superglue is safe once cured, but it doesn't stick all plastics. "Aquarium" silicone is a rip off, 100% silicone is 100% silicone, the only types to avoid are those with additives to prevent mould etc.
That said, even if it's under $5 a tube I hate wasting it, often by the time I need it again all I have is a cylinder of rubber and I have to buy more.
I think superglue would be the best bet for a feeder, but for gluing mesh I've used clear fabric glue, it has similar properties to hot glue but is clearer and dries a bit harder. It's supposed to be waterproof and certainly can take being washed and soaked in hot water but I'm not sure if it's safe in a drinking supply, I think it would be once fully cured. Like hot glue it can be removed by force, but it grips a lot stronger than hot glue.
Recently I've used Bostick Clear, that sets very hard and I don't think I could remove it by force but once again no idea about using it in a water supply.
  • Trythis22 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users