• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Where to buy 17 mm x 150 mm glass test tubes in Canada?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline sweetgrass - Posted August 8 2018 - 10:24 AM

sweetgrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationMedicine Hat, Alberta Canada

Hi

Wondering where I can purchase the recommended size of test tubes? 17 mm x 150 mm

Thanks

Linda

#2 Offline Major - Posted August 8 2018 - 10:29 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
16x150mm is the usual "standard" size for ant keeping. This is what I use: American Educational Borosilicate Glass Round Bottom Test Tube, 16mm OD x 150mm Length (Pack of 72) https://www.amazon.c...i_lzZABb28ED614
  • sweetgrass likes this

#3 Offline KBant - Posted August 8 2018 - 10:31 AM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

to buy a bunch i would recommend https://www.lcmlab.com

you must email them if you're not in the USA to get a shipping quote. 

however they don't seem to to have 17mm in glass but do have plastic but only 17x100, they do have 16x100,125 and 150 and 18x150 in glass.

• sweetgrass likes this

#4 Offline sweetgrass - Posted August 8 2018 - 10:41 AM

sweetgrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationMedicine Hat, Alberta Canada

Thank you very much!!  I will check these out

#5 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 8 2018 - 4:37 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

I don't recommend going with plastic tubes if you can avoid it. Glass is better not only for viewing, but for cleaning.

I could not find any locally so I went the eBay/China route which were cheap in price but you have to wait 4-6 weeks before you get them. This is why I made sure to stock up during the winter. Never had any issues with any of the sellers other than the wait.

Good luck finding some.

• sweetgrass likes this

My online ant spreadsheet

#6 Offline Russell - Posted August 8 2018 - 10:34 PM

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationVictoria Canada

Hi 

I order from Westlab.com https://www.westlab.comin Canada. They are I believe in Vancouver. Shipping is free if you order more then $75.  Don't order test tubes however as they have a RIM that blocks plugging into formicarium or taping together when moving ants to new tubes. Order culture tubes they are rimless. I get 16mm x 150mm for most species and 25x150mm for my Camponotus. If Westlab does not show on site just e-mail and they will activate them on site for you. I also get test tube brushes from them and extra long Q tips for cleaning, micro spatulas for feeding and funnels for filling my test tubes. Hardest part is stoping your self from ordering an autoclave. 

• sweetgrass likes this

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus/Modus

Tetramorium sp. E

Formica Podzolica

Lasius Alienus

Lasius Niger

Formica Ravida 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users