• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Attempt of Keeping Lasius claviger

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted November 29 2014 - 2:06 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Just caught 4 queens, now that I know they are out there I'm going to try to catch more! I feel like this species is going to be very unlikely to keep as a colony but it is worth trying! The smell of the queen is very powerful, I never smelled citronella before but this certainly is a strong smell!

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted November 29 2014 - 7:38 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Update: 11/29/14 (couple hours later)

The one with 5 workers only just laid an egg, it is in one of the worker's mouth! Can't take pictures until I get something, you can't see anything on my webcam.

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 29 2014 - 8:54 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Wait... So you found colonies, and not just lone queens? If so please state the amount of her own workers, and the amount of host workers for each colony. :)

#4 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted November 30 2014 - 7:18 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

There is for the first attempt, a small founding colony of Lasius neoniger with about 15 workers. They actually kicked their own queen out!! So I put her in another test tube for next year. The second one I gave 5 workers from my small colony and she got easily accepted with no troubles. They are both doing really good and are not appearing to actually be hibernating when all the other workers are. I do open the tubes every time I get to them because I'm afraid that the smell causes lack of oxygen.

#5 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted December 29 2014 - 7:52 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I now have made a video of a colony with 4 workers that died sadly. :( Well the other colony is doing fine at least!

I just got them out of hibernating, could anybody tell if there are signs of if they are done hibernating?

#6 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 29 2014 - 9:11 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They will be much more active, and the queen will start laying eggs.

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 29 2014 - 9:14 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I just got them out of hibernating, could anybody tell if there are signs of if they are done hibernating?

Yes, they may remain relatively inactive for up to a few weeks, but eventually will begin foraging and the queen will lay eggs.

I just observed this phenomena with an incipient Camponotus colony, which I kept in the fridge for only a few weeks.  They now have 8 new eggs and the larvae are fattening up on byFormica Formula—I haven't gotten them to take to insects yet.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted December 29 2014 - 9:15 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Yes, they may remain relatively inactive for up to a few weeks, but eventually will begin foraging and the queen will lay eggs.

I just observed this phenomena with an incipient Camponotus colony, which I kept in the fridge for only a few weeks.  They now have 8 new eggs and the larvae are fattening up on byFormica Formula—I haven't gotten them to take to insects yet.

I hibernated mine for about 1 month and 2 weeks so I think I will be good!

#9 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 29 2014 - 9:18 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I took my Lasius queens out recently as well.

My Formica fusca have another month. :)

Edited by Gregory2455, December 29 2014 - 9:18 PM.

#10 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted January 9 2015 - 8:24 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Update: 1-9-15

Just started laying eggs! I seen some small larva too!! :D

• Gregory2455 likes this

#11 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 9 2015 - 4:05 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nice!!! Very jealous... I love citronella ants... Maybe next year- I did not even make an effort to go to the Lasius flights this year, probably because Lasius in general are rather boring- only citronella species are cool.

She must have had enough hibernating if she is laying eggs.

#12 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted January 9 2015 - 4:22 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Nice!!! Very jealous... I love citronella ants... Maybe next year- I did not even make an effort to go to the Lasius flights this year, probably because Lasius in general are rather boring- only citronella species are cool.

She must have had enough hibernating if she is laying eggs.

I wasn't keeping track very well but I'm estimating 1 1/2 months to 2 months, maybe I should take my Lasius umbratus out?

#13 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted January 29 2015 - 6:47 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Update: 1-29-2015

Just got some larva now, really excited as of now! Fed them fruit flies and it appeared they needed it because the larva were not growing.

#14 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted February 17 2015 - 3:08 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I got a second batch of eggs that I seen in a workers jaws and I was very excited, could anybody for sure me that there is no other person that has kept a successful journal on this species because that is my goal! :)

#15 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 17 2015 - 8:44 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Picture! Or video. ;)

#16 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted February 18 2015 - 5:07 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Sorry can't really get that close because they burrowed into the cotton because it is a pretty big test tube but sure I'll make a picture! :)

#17 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted February 18 2015 - 5:16 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I guess it's just to show the colony because this test tube is really far down and I couldn't show you the side view because they burrowed into the cotton but that will not happen with my newer test tubes. Sorry that you can't see anything really. :(

IMG_0092_zpsz7kqpzly.jpg

Edited by dspdrew, February 18 2015 - 11:27 PM.
Fixed image

#18 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted February 25 2015 - 4:10 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I seen some new eggs again and some of the other eggs are starting to get bigger and more clear.

#19 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 25 2015 - 10:05 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nice! :D

#20 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted March 3 2015 - 12:00 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I think there are now fresh new larva but it's hard to tell I'm getting so excited and really hope fingers crossed nothing happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users