• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AntGuySA Myrmicaria sp (02/03/15)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntGuySA - Posted March 1 2015 - 11:39 PM

AntGuySA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Hi everyone

Here is my Myrmicaria sp I am still waiting for confirmation on exact but for now I will just use that as advised, I collected her in January and she has been doing well since

SDC11113 (Large)
SDC11135
SDC11345

Her brood has started to change colour I hope she has some workers soon
SDC11347
SDC11349
SDC11350

She is always tending to her young unless eating termite kings and queens she also likes chocolate, thanks for reading all advice is welcome.

Regards, AntGuySA

• Gregory2455 likes this

It`s not rocket science 

#2 Offline Ra3MaN - Posted March 1 2015 - 11:43 PM

Ra3MaN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPretoria, South Africa

Your ant looks healthy, I think I waited for about two to three months before my Myrmicaria sp, had nanitics, but I like how big these ants are. Happy breeding!

IMG 5858

#3 Offline AntGuySA - Posted March 2 2015 - 12:04 AM

AntGuySA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Hi Ra3MaN

Yes they are big ants I really like that fact a lot, she is just going into the 3 month marker now, I have her in a jar but need to get something together for her, I have noticed she can`t climb smooth surfaces to easily so from the jar she must go into a formicarium any advice for her?

Regards, AntGuySA

It`s not rocket science 

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 2 2015 - 12:29 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
How large would you say she is?

#5 Offline Ra3MaN - Posted March 2 2015 - 1:04 AM

Ra3MaN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPretoria, South Africa

I have noticed she can`t climb smooth surfaces to easily so from the jar she must go into a formicarium any advice for her?

AntGuySA, Trust me, it is a good thing that Myrmicaria doesn't climb glass. I see my Ants also prefer not to walk on plastic walls but will do so if necessary. Your Queen seems pretty fine with the set up you currently have, if she is laying eggs then she must be happy and feel safe - you don't need to move it yet. However, just keep your options open, when your colony grows it is going to get harder to feed them and re-hydrate in the jar - My ants tend to get frantic every time I open the container... So I made a few feeding holes in the lid of my container with the soldering Iron and then plugged it up with cotton balls. I normally drop in food bits and Sugar water...  have a look at some of the formicarium Idea's on this forum, I am pretty happy with the plastic one, but will reassess my options at a later stage. 

How large would you say she is? 

Gregory2455, 

the queen ~1.5cm in length,

nanitics: ~6mm

workers: 8-10mm 

• AntGuySA likes this
IMG 5858

#6 Offline AntGuySA - Posted March 2 2015 - 1:18 AM

AntGuySA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Hey Ra3MaN

Thanks for the advice will keep those options in mind, when she has her first nanitics I will make a lid with a hole and try have a better setup by then and lay the jar on its side, light does not bug her air movement does I have noticed that, I was thinking a medium sized photo frame and grout or cement, will try get something together later today, thanks for reading.

Regards, AntGuySA

• Ra3MaN likes this

It`s not rocket science 

#7 Offline antmaniac - Posted March 2 2015 - 1:29 AM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

I have noticed she can`t climb smooth surfaces to easily so from the jar she must go into a formicarium any advice for her?

AntGuySA, Trust me, it is a good thing that Myrmicaria doesn't climb glass. I see my Ants also prefer not to walk on plastic walls but will do so if necessary. Your Queen seems pretty fine with the set up you currently have, if she is laying eggs then she must be happy and feel safe - you don't need to move it yet. However, just keep your options open, when your colony grows it is going to get harder to feed them and re-hydrate in the jar - My ants tend to get frantic every time I open the container... So I made a few feeding holes in the lid of my container with the soldering Iron and then plugged it up with cotton balls. I normally drop in food bits and Sugar water...  have a look at some of the formicarium Idea's on this forum, I am pretty happy with the plastic one, but will reassess my options at a later stage. 

I also burnt holes on plastic containers. I used metallic cloth hanger by straighten it and heat it up, then make holes with it, works quite well.

#8 Offline AntGuySA - Posted March 2 2015 - 6:19 AM

AntGuySA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Yeah plastic is quick and easy but glass just has that clear look to it, I know you can get some good clear plastic but it scratches easier and glass is way easier to clean with hot water, so yes there is pro`s and con`s to both, I might go the plastic route with my Myrmicaria and just a small frame formicarium for my pheidole sp, thanks for the help everyone.

Regards, AntGuySA

Edited by AntGuySA, March 2 2015 - 6:20 AM.

It`s not rocket science 

#9 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted March 2 2015 - 2:08 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

I was thinking a medium sized photo frame and grout or cement, will try get something together later today, thanks for reading.

I think grout is better than cement for a formicarium. You should check Crystal's tutorial. :)

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 2 2015 - 4:17 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I was thinking a medium sized photo frame and grout or cement, will try get something together later today, thanks for reading.

I think grout is better than cement for a formicarium. You should check Crystal's tutorial. :)

Cement once it is fully cured barely absorbs water. The amount it absorbs is so small, that even though it slightly darkens the cement, it will still feel dry to the touch. I don't think any ants can drink from moist cement.

#11 Offline AntGuySA - Posted March 2 2015 - 8:25 PM

AntGuySA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Hi Jonathan21700 

I have watched Crystal`s video`s over and over and they are really informative and very detailed, we only have 1 type of grout and it come`s in different colours but I think its just the sanded grout, I will try buy some today as my ants really need a new home.

Hi DspDrew

I won't bring up the cement question again I see that it`s not a viable option even though easily accessible, I will try to get grout today even if I have to travle a bit out of the way thank you for everyone`s input it`s much appreciated.

Regards, AntGuySA

It`s not rocket science 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users