• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Adding queen to polygynous colony

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted April 25 2018 - 5:34 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

Hi, Noob here with a question. Is it possible to introduce a new queen to an existing colony if the species is known to be polygynous? I have a Prenolepis colony from last year with about a dozen or so workers and just caught a new queen two days ago. I would like to add them together to try and get the colony to grow faster, but if it isn't doable or is risky I'll probably just stick with them in separate tubes.

#2 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted April 25 2018 - 6:07 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

I wouldn't recommend it. Most established colonies don't take Kindly to a new queen coming in, and they may attempt to attack. Because of different pheromones or "smells" of the queens, the workers may even attack the new queen on sight.

• Skwiggledork likes this

#3 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted April 25 2018 - 7:18 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

You can try introducing them with some kind of barrier in between such as a test tube with wire mesh covering the end. Something just to essentially allow the transfer of pheromones without allowing physical contact. If the existing colony starts swarming the test tube, its probably a bad sign, but if a few just try playing antennae tag with her through the mesh and then run off, you are probably in good shape to give a non supervised introduction a go.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#4 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 25 2018 - 7:26 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Someone on this forum and on YouTube I believe, successfully combined three prenolepis colonies. I would make sure both are well fed (even the queen alone) if you attempt this.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted April 25 2018 - 7:30 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Someone on this forum and on YouTube I believe, successfully combined three prenolepis colonies. I would make sure both are well fed (even the queen alone) if you attempt this.

Yeah, MrILoveTheAnts did. He just let the tubes all sit closely together If I remember and they had all moved in with eachother after a while. Pretty sure that's the way it happened. But if you dumped a queen into another colony, they'd likely kill it.

• disasterants likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#6 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 25 2018 - 1:03 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

It really depends on the species. Something like Tapinoma sessile would be fine with this. You are taking a little risk with Prenolepis though. Even if they don't kill the queen it can still be something the colony doesn't like initially, which would stress them out.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, April 25 2018 - 1:06 PM.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#7 Offline disasterants - Posted May 1 2018 - 10:04 AM

disasterants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNew York

wait until both the colonies have decent amounts of workers before attempting to combine them

#8 Offline GeorgeK - Posted May 1 2018 - 10:20 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

I will try to combine two solenopsis fugax queens in about a month, altho i will make a journal about it

#9 Offline Lazarus - Posted July 20 2018 - 8:26 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

If multiple queens from a polygynous species are caught after a nuptial flight and I wish them to be in the same colony should the queens all be immediately placed together in a test tube? If they already have a few eggs should I wait until they each have a few workers and then use the temporary mesh barrier mentioned above? 

My online ant spreadsheet

#10 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 20 2018 - 7:15 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I've noticed that it works most of the time, especially in supercolonial species. However, it's best that they are just put in the same Outworld.
  • Lazarus likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#11 Offline dermy - Posted July 21 2018 - 10:11 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

When I used to add more Myrmica queens to my colonies [after nuptial flights, not from another colony or something] I would place a few of the workers with the new queen/queens and see what would happen. Like a small scale experiment. If all went well I'd introduce her to the colony and watch what would happen. It doesn't always work out but you can usually tell from the first experiment if they will accept her or not [if they don't I never tried the big introduction].

• Lazarus likes this

#12 Offline Lazarus - Posted July 30 2018 - 5:15 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

Thanks Dermy and Canadian Anter. I'll wait it out. I really like the trial approach as I can see what the workers do before actually risking a queen right from the start.

My online ant spreadsheet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users