• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Footage of Polyergus breviceps Raiding Formica montana

polyergus slave making ants polyergus raid polyergus breviceps

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted July 11 2018 - 5:00 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

On July 11th, 2018 I found Polyergus breviceps raid in progress while cutting the grass. I immediately ran inside to get my camera. I got footage of the Polyergus breaking into many different entrances of the Formica montana mound next to a tree. it was about 80 degrees Fahrenheit, had winds of 5 mph, and about 40% humidity. 

This was them breaking through one of the entrances. The Formica workers were hesitant to fight, but still, a few dead Polyergus breviceps workers lay at the surface and probably many times more in the nest.

Edited by AnthonyP163, July 13 2018 - 10:48 AM.

• LC3, rbarreto and DaveJay like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: polyergus, slave making ants, polyergus raid, polyergus breviceps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users