• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

That's not a brood pile, THIS is a brood pile! - My Monomorium minimum

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JohnTX - Posted April 27 2018 - 7:22 AM

JohnTX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

POPULAR

I caught these three Monomorium minimum queens last summer and threw them in an inception chamber from THA. 

I think they have done very well for just 9 months.  This Spring their brood pile has exploded.  I''m trying to figure out what to put them in next because they will obviously be outgrowing this setup quickly.  I tried letting them explore a THA Fortress and a Chinese made acrylic setup by connecting to them to the outworld, but these 1-2mm workers were able to escape anything I have tried.  

Suggestions welcome on how to contain these.

Thought people might enjoy the pictures.

Mm5
Mm3
Mm6
Mm4
Mm2
Mm1

Edited by JohnTX, April 27 2018 - 7:24 AM.

• nurbs, drtrmiller, LC3 and 14 others like this

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 27 2018 - 7:30 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Wow, I adore Monomorium. Thank you for sharing, I will be following this journal!

• Bracchymyrmex likes this

#3 Offline StayLoki - Posted April 27 2018 - 1:07 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Sweeeeettt!!!
Is that an atom?
They are beautiful ants and they're certainly massing an army lol
^O sorry I didn't read it completely; I got stunned by the photos 😎

#4 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted April 27 2018 - 1:42 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

That's not a brood pile, it's a brood mountain!

• TennesseeAnts and DaveJay like this

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 27 2018 - 7:21 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I have a colony of either M. minimum or M. trageri with over a dozen queens, and I see a couple alate larvae among my brood.  A constant supply of frozen insects (currently houseflies or bottle flies), Sunburst Ant Nectar, and fresh water allows them to grow very quickly. 

• Jonathan21700, Mettcollsuss and TennesseeAnts like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline sericultivist - Posted April 27 2018 - 9:52 PM

sericultivist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

My Monomorium colony has done the same thing! The brood pile is easily 6-8x the mass of the workers, and they have a big pile of alate larva.

#7 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted April 28 2018 - 5:53 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Monomorium is one of my dream species. Got any tips on finding Monomorium queens?

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#8 Offline JohnTX - Posted April 28 2018 - 9:22 AM

JohnTX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Monomorium is one of my dream species. Got any tips on finding Monomorium queens?

I literally walked into them last July one afternoon.  Walked out onto my back patio and into a swarm of them, some still in the act of mating.    

Here is my original post:

http://www.formicult...nuptial-flight/

and here is my ID thread with a bit more info:

http://www.formicult...-tx-24-july-17/

Edited by JohnTX, April 28 2018 - 9:24 AM.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#9 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted April 28 2018 - 1:55 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

Does anyone know the best way to keep them from escaping?? I found a colony and m 100% sure I can get queen, I just need to make sure I can keep it without escapies. What do you guys use?

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#10 Offline sericultivist - Posted May 8 2018 - 9:09 AM

sericultivist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

Where I find Monomorium colonies here they generally aren't more than 1cm deep, and can have as many as 13 queens in the colony. I recently took 2 queens out of one with a small brood pile and some workers and they are doing extremely well.

#11 Offline Waganga - Posted May 8 2018 - 10:29 AM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

I really like your formicarium/outworld setup! Did you get it somewhere, or did you make it yourself?

#12 Offline JohnTX - Posted May 8 2018 - 10:44 AM

JohnTX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

I really like your formicarium/outworld setup! Did you get it somewhere, or did you make it yourself?

It's an "Inception Chamber" (3")  from Tar Heel Ants.  Very tight fitting lid that contains them well.

#13 Offline Nanos - Posted June 28 2018 - 3:50 PM

Nanos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSalina, Kansas

I'm starting a colony from scratch so i have a few questions. Does anyone here know whether the queen is semi or fully claustral? Also any idea on the life cycle and does the queen really only live a year as I've read? Also i just bought the inception formicarium from THA glad to know it works. 

#14 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 28 2018 - 4:19 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I found a Monomorium minimum colony of roughly 200 workers and one queen under a stone. Sadly, the queen slipped away into their nest.

#15 Offline Enderz - Posted July 4 2018 - 2:38 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

What form of protein do these ants accept / what for of sugar?

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#16 Offline JohnTX - Posted July 9 2018 - 1:24 PM

JohnTX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

What form of protein do these ants accept / what for of sugar?

I feed them silk worms which they seem to love.  (see below)   

For sugar, I have been using Sunburst Ant Nectar by byFormica (thought I am now out  :( ) and they always drain the feeder quickly.

I have found they will eat almost anything.  They are like tiny black piranhas that swarm whatever I put in the dish.

I'm starting a colony from scratch so i have a few questions. Does anyone here know whether the queen is semi or fully claustral? Also any idea on the life cycle and does the queen really only live a year as I've read? Also i just bought the inception formicarium from THA glad to know it works. 

I treated them as fully claustral and everything went well.  They are at a year now and still going strong.  So much so that I had to migrate them to a new formacarium (THA Nucleus III - see below)

Mm7
Mm8
Mm9
mm10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users