• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Major’s Ant Journal

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#101 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 23 2018 - 11:48 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

i have wanted spiders from the genus Micrathena for a while now (i also keep spiders)

I can confirm you don't want to keep those. I have LOADS of these spiders at a nearby forest and they don't do anything.

Oh

#102 Offline DaveJay - Posted August 23 2018 - 8:04 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

i have wanted spiders from the genus Micrathena for a while now (i also keep spiders)

I can confirm you don't want to keep those. I have LOADS of these spiders at a nearby forest and they don't do anything.
Orb spiders in general need a lot of room but it can be done. They are a sit and wait predator so they are not expected to do much, sit and wait predators don't expend energy unless prey is present.
This species has a life span of one year and is dormant in winter so the window in which to catch them being active would be pretty small!
  • Major likes this

#103 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 24 2018 - 6:53 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Orb spiders in general need a lot of room but it can be done. They are a sit and wait predator so they are not expected to do much, sit and wait predators don't expend energy unless prey is present.
This species has a life span of one year and is dormant in winter so the window in which to catch them being active would be pretty small!

I know. 

#104 Offline Major - Posted August 24 2018 - 6:57 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Not ready to get into spider keeping yet. :lol: Let's save that for another day.
  • DaveJay likes this

#105 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 24 2018 - 7:05 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Not ready to get into spider keeping yet. :lol: Let's save that for another day.

ok  :lol:  :yes:

#106 Offline Major - Posted August 26 2018 - 9:04 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
So I will probably be trading some of my ants with a couple people. I also might be buying a colony if anything I'm interested in goes up for sale. Never thought I'd pay money for ants before :lol:

Just bought Drew's starter Formicarium, pretty excited for it to come. I just have no idea which of my colonys to put in it. I may be trading for some Brachyamyrmex and Crematogaster, probably one of those will get the Formicarium. Any suggestions?

#107 Offline Major - Posted August 26 2018 - 9:08 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I went blacklighting yesterday to no avail, I know for a fact that there were some Brachyamyrmex flight since I saw some alates, I even caught a queen but dropped her. :(

#108 Offline Major - Posted August 29 2018 - 5:14 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Went blacklighting yesterday and found a Termite Queen Alate. Not much she can do without a male, I'll probably give her away or release her.
  • Nare and DaveJay like this

#109 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted August 29 2018 - 6:25 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

I wonder if termite queens are polygynous.

Edited by Skwiggledork, August 29 2018 - 6:26 AM.

• Major likes this

#110 Offline Major - Posted August 29 2018 - 6:38 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

I wonder if termite queens are polygynous.

I think some species are. But it would be sorta weird to only have 2 queens and 1 male. The male would pick only one female. You'd probably need 2 Females and 2 males
  • sirjordanncurtis likes this

#111 Offline Nare - Posted August 29 2018 - 10:10 AM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Went blacklighting yesterday and found a Termite Queen Alate. Not much she can do without a male, I'll probably give her away or release her.

Well hey, that's a start. I recommend you return to the area that you found the alate and look in cracks and crevasses for mated pairs.

#112 Offline Major - Posted August 29 2018 - 11:35 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I already gave her to someone.

#113 Offline Major - Posted August 29 2018 - 2:54 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Everyone who follows this journal, expect to see some new stuff tommorow... :wink:

Edited by Major, August 30 2018 - 5:16 AM.

• Skwiggledork and DaveJay like this

#114 Offline Major - Posted August 30 2018 - 11:13 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
As promised! The new stuff!

So I traded off my Temnothorax Curvispinosus, 1 Yellow Lasius queen, and a lone Termite Queen for a Brachyamyrmex Depilis queen and wait for it, an 8 worker Crematogaster (Cerasi or Lineotela?) colony's with Skwiggledork, thanks man! :happy: If anyone knows if their Cerasi or Lineotela please lemme know.

And, I bought Drew's starter Formicarium to move the Crematogaster into! And a byformica micro liquid feeder. Well, enough of my jabbering, let the pics speak for themselves.

ByFormica Micro Feeder

Brachyamyrmex Depilis:

Crematogaster sp. (Before Move)

Drew's Starter Formicarium:

The tube was a tad bit wet after shipping, and they seemed reluctant to move. So I had to manually move them. No ants harmed though.
Crematogaster sp. (After Move)

Sorry about the cruddy pics, I'm just really excited and I don't have my macro lens anymore.
  • Skwiggledork, Karma, Nare and 1 other like this

#115 Offline Major - Posted August 30 2018 - 2:49 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Does anyone have any good colony names for my Crematogaster Lineolata?

#116 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted August 30 2018 - 6:16 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

Their new home looks good. I can't wait to see if the Brachymyrmex lays.

• Major likes this

#117 Offline Major - Posted August 31 2018 - 11:47 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I got a name for my Crematogaster Lineolata, tell me if you guys like it, Cupid's Army.
  • Nare and DaveJay like this

#118 Offline Major - Posted September 2 2018 - 1:25 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
:) Yes! Finally bought a camera, should be arriving in 3-7 business days. Can't wait! I'll also be moving November, after a few renovations and stuff.

As many of you may, or may not know, I'm still just a teen so I still go to school. I'm trying to focus on it once it starts so I'll be selling most of my ants off, and keeping my favorites. I will also only be able to update on the weekends. I'm still into antkeeping and am not planning on quitting so don't worry. I guess now that I'll only be able to update on weekly, general quality of the journal will improve.

Edited by Major, September 2 2018 - 4:16 PM.

• Skwiggledork and DaveJay like this

#119 Offline DaveJay - Posted September 2 2018 - 8:53 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
Which camera did you buy?
Also, somehow I don't believe you won't be online during the week, there's always time for the Internet! :)
  • Major likes this

#120 Offline Major - Posted September 3 2018 - 6:25 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Which camera did you buy?
Also, somehow I don't believe you won't be online during the week, there's always time for the Internet! :)

I bought the Canon Powershot SX60 HS with a Raynox DCR- 250 Lens. School doesn't start up till the sixth, so I can still use Formiculture. I'll pop in a couple times during weekdays probably.
  • DaveJay likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users