• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID - Denmark 30/6/2018

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Deluga - Posted June 30 2018 - 8:52 AM

Deluga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Yo, I caught this queen today. Winged though, but wasn't walking near any nest, so she could maybe hopefully be fertile. 
I'm not 100% sure of the species, but my guess would be Lasius. 

1. Location of collection (ie: park/area, city/town, state/province, country). -- 

Denmark - Found walking on a wall.

2. Date of collection (more important for ID's of queens).  --

30/6/2018 - 6 pm.
3. Habitat of collection (ie: desert scrub, oak forest, riparian, etc.).

Walking on a building wall at my moms place, which is on the country.
4. Length (to the nearest millimeter or 1/16th of an inch.) Millimeters is preferred. --

7-8 mm.
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture (ie: dark redish-orange head, velvet-like gaster, translucent, hairy/bald, shiny/dull, etc.).

Darkbrown body with a lighter brown stripes around the gaster and light brown legs.
6. Distinguishing characteristics (ie: one petiole node/two petiole nodes, length and orientation of any spines or bumps on the thorax or waist, head shape, eye size, shape of mandibles, number of antennal segments, etc.)

7. Anything else distinctive (ie: odor, behavior, characteristics relative to others in the colony, etc.).
8. Nest description (if you can find the nest, and you're sure it belongs to the ant you collected) (ie: rotted log, volcano-shaped mound of coarse gavel 10cm in diameter, etc.).

9. Nuptial flight time and date (if you witnessed the ant or it's colony having a nuptial flight or caught an alate you are confident was flying that day or time)
10 . Post the clearest pictures possible of the top, side, and face of the ant in question, and if possible, their nest and the habitat they were collected in.

ID Request
ID request 2
Id request 3

Edited by Deluga, June 30 2018 - 9:06 AM.

Keeper of:

1x Camponotus herculeanus

1x Camponotus sylvaticus

1x Formica cinerea

1x Formica fusca

1x Formica lemani

1x Lasius flavus

2x Lasius niger

#2 Offline AntsBC - Posted June 30 2018 - 9:11 AM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Most likely a Formica species.

• LC3 and Mettcollsuss like this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#3 Offline Deluga - Posted June 30 2018 - 10:10 AM

Deluga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Right. Did not think about those, thought Formica queens would be a bit bigger.
Then it could be Formica cinerea, based on the queen pictures google provides me, that seem similar, but aint those queens usually a bit bigger? She could maybe also be a bit underfed.

Keeper of:

1x Camponotus herculeanus

1x Camponotus sylvaticus

1x Formica cinerea

1x Formica fusca

1x Formica lemani

1x Lasius flavus

2x Lasius niger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users