• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Amazon's Purple Mystery "Ant Liquid"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 28 2018 - 10:00 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I was just recently looking for Sunburst Ant Nectar, but for some reason byFormica took their offer down and now it is unavailable. I did notice that instead of Sunburst Ant Nectar popping up this weird purple liquid appeared. It's title was "30ML PROTEIN SYRUP FOR QUEENS ANTS AND ANTS COLONYS". I click on it and it is apparently sold and shipped by some company named "AntHouse". There is no reviews for this product at all and it claims to stimulate the lay of the queen and supposedly be super healthy for the colony. It is really cheap, like a bit cheaper than Sunburst Ant Nectar I believe. I mean if it does what it claims that is awesome and I'd buy it right away, but due to the sketchy looking amazon post I don't quite trust it yet. Anyone think this stuff is actually safe for ants and actually does what it claims? Here is a link to the strange liquid https://www.amazon.c...VSSHZYFCP8J01WX

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted June 28 2018 - 10:38 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I'm willing to bet the "stimulating of the queen to lay" is bull*$#@.  If the queen is comfortable and fertile, she will lay anyways.  This is most likely just some protein/sugar mix.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 28 2018 - 11:07 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

This is sold by AntHouse, which is a Spanish company that has been around since about 2009. I would avoid any food product that does not list the ingredients. 

Edited by drtrmiller, June 28 2018 - 11:19 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted June 28 2018 - 11:12 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

This is sold by AntHouse, which is a Spanish company that has been around since about 2009. I would avoid any food product that does not list the ingredients.

I agree with Miller on this.  

By the way, would you happen to know what they mean by "Raw ashes," drtmiller?

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 28 2018 - 11:16 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

By the way, would you happen to know what they mean by "Raw ashes," drtmiller?

It is the inorganic part of the food which would remain after the water and organic matter is burned away, such as through incineration.  When used in the context of labeling requirements for a "Guaranteed Analysis," "ash" indicates the inorganic mineral content of the food.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 28 2018 - 11:22 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 29 2018 - 7:14 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Yeah, seems a bit sketchy.... I agree with drtrmiller.

#7 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 29 2018 - 7:38 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I was on the antkeeping Discord a few weeks ago, and this guy joins new and basically says "Hey, I'm a pet shop that sells a lot of herps, I see that ants are getting popular.  I am thinking of making my own ant foods for sale, what recipes do you use?"   <- Scares me.

#8 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 29 2018 - 10:57 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ok so I guess I won't ever be trying that stuff  ;) , but drtrmiller any chance "Sunburst Ant Nectar" will be sold via amazon again?

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#9 Offline Serafine - Posted June 29 2018 - 11:17 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

It's from Anthouse which sells a lot for educational purposes so I guess it's at least safe for the ants. I doubt though that it is stimulting in any way regular insect food isn't. After all, it's just liquid protein jelly.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#10 Offline Barristan - Posted June 29 2018 - 11:43 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Looks like the black goo from "Prometheus"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users