• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants_Texas' Pogonomyrmex barbatus Journal

pogonomyrmex pogonomyrmex barbatus harvester ants harvester ant

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 28 2018 - 6:48 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Hello and welcome to the new and improved Pogonomyrmex barbatus journal!  This journal will start out by following three Pogonomyrmex barbatus queens. For now, I will refer to them as A, B, and C (very creative I know). Originally I had four, but I decided to give queen D to Spamdy. Eventually, this journal may only follow the biggest colony, but for now we will follow all three queen's adventures. Enjoy!  :D

Update 6/28/18

This is the day the journal was started. Here's each queen, with their estimated egg count. I will be doing just a few updates along their founding process, and then updates should be more abundant once they get nanitics. 

Queen A (~10 Eggs):

4xCIc8v.jpg

JWFjSlR.jpg

Queen B (~11 Eggs):

ZcmJLQ1.jpg

XfyG5ad.jpg

Queen C (~7 Eggs)

fUOcgNL.jpg

QedMI12.jpg

I suppose we could turn this into some sort of race. Whoever fills a Mini-Hearth the fastest gets a Fortress, perhaps?  :lol:

WARNING: I am an amature photographer with my EOS Rebel SL2, but these pictures are definitely a major step up from my last journal! Who knows, maybe one day I'll be Aaron 2.0.  B)

Edited by Ants_Texas, June 28 2018 - 6:58 PM.

• Gabraime, Spamdy, rdurham02 and 1 other like this

#2 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted July 13 2018 - 2:13 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Update 7/13/18

Today I moved them all into Mini-Hearth formicariums. Now they have some substrate to use whenever they want. Queen B and Queen C have both decided that they will become ostriches, but Queen A was less shy. Better pictures will be coming later in their founding process, as I want to disturb them as little as possible while founding. I got the actual egg numbers while moving them as well. 

Queen A (20 Eggs):

F6PMOSE.jpg

Queen B (11 Eggs):

bhJCCfM.jpg

Queen C (35 Eggs)

94mmaVt.jpg

(Yes, the above picture does in fact showcase the most successful queen.)  :lol:

• Spamdy likes this

#3 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted August 10 2018 - 1:15 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Update 8/10/18

All three queens have at least one pupa now. More pictures coming when they get workers. Here's their statuses.

Queen A: 1 pupa, ~15 eggs

Queen B: 1 pupa, 1 larva, ~10 eggs

Queen C: 3 pupae, ~15 eggs

#4 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted January 3 2019 - 3:20 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Update?

• aznphenom likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex, pogonomyrmex barbatus, harvester ants, harvester ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users