• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium Sp. E Colony (First time keeper)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Saftron - Posted August 28 2016 - 4:53 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

So about 2 months ago I caught a Tetramorium queen and to this day she has about 13 workers and a pile of larvae.

The start: She started off in a test tube for 2 days until I moved her into a Tarheel Ants Atom A Chamber and from there she started her colony. It took about 2 weeks for her eggs to become larvae, and about 2 weeks for the larvae to pupate (sp?) and about 2 more weeks for the pupae to become nanitics. A month and a week later from when I first caught her, her first workers arrived and for their first meal I decided to give them honey and thoughtout the day I always saw atleast 1 nanitic drinking the honey. 2 days after their sugar fix I decided to give them the head of a large mealworm which they pretty much ignored except 1 ant. 

The Move: About 2 days ago I decided to move them into an Small Tarheel Ants Inception chamber made specifically for Tetramorium. Within 7 hours they all moved into the chamber and later that night I pushed the head of a mealworm into the entrance and they took it in and feasted. The next day the entrance from the chamber to the outworld was blocked with sand so I was kinda worried about the mealworm head molding. Today, luckily they moved the head to the chamber that receives no hydration so I'm pretty happy.

So yeah that's how my colony is doing so far, let me know if I should continue and feel free to leave suggestions. Peace out. 

#2 Offline Saftron - Posted October 1 2016 - 1:03 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

I haven't really posted on this because no one has commented plus nothing new interesting happened. Anyways, I introduced my colony to a heating pad and they are responding fairly well. So far 6 new workers eclosed, expecting 10-12 more in 1-2 weeks. Queen has started producing way more with the heating pad, lots of eggs, larvae and pupae. That's pretty much it. 

Heating Pad I use with towel over it so acrylic doesn't crack: http://www.petco.com...der-tank-heater

#3 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted October 30 2016 - 9:07 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.
I put one of mine in hibernation, and the other one isn't showing signs of wanting to hibernate. They both have 20-30 workers.
Also, I use the same heating mat.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#4 Offline Saftron - Posted November 29 2016 - 8:59 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Update:

So my Tetramorium colony is about 5 months old now and they have about 45-50 workers. They haven't been growing too fast but right now they are about to grow a ton! :) They have about 20 larvae that will become pupae very soon, yay! The queen has also laid 2 batches of eggs is less than 2 weeks. The heating mat has been helping based off of growth and they don't seem like they want to hibernate so I won't hibernate them. I hope to see regular sized workers but I'm fine with them as they are even though they are very tiny. I haven't posted a picture of them at all so I guess I'll add one now! :)

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

(Tetramorium nanitics working on a dead camponotus vicinus worker, you can really see the size difference between the 2 species. They have pulled off most of the gaster and antennae and have been "digging" in it's head.)

Edited by Antkeeperxxx, November 29 2016 - 9:10 PM.

• drtrmiller, antgenius123 and VoidElecent like this

#5 Offline Saftron - Posted November 29 2016 - 9:05 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

So as my 1st colony this has be an awesome so far and I hope it keep's on going. To me it's really amazing how a lone queen with nothing got this far, (I know it's not that far but for me it feels like she's gone pretty far.) I can't believe I am the one who actually raised them and that they are doing well and fine. This is the 1st animal/pet I have actually been responsible with and have kept cleaning, feeding, watering so I am really proud of myself. Usually I like the pet for a month and than get bored and stop taking care but not with ants haha :) So far this experience has been fascinating and I want to keep going so I really recommend keeping ants because it's a fun hell of a ride and a very rewarding one! :)

This video shows the size of my colony and probably is better than my summary of them the post above: 

Edited by Antkeeperxxx, November 29 2016 - 9:12 PM.

• VoidElecent likes this

#6 Offline noebl1 - Posted November 30 2016 - 5:50 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

FWIW, I have three first season Tetramorium Sp E colonies here too. I put them into "hibernation" a few weeks back (though my basement temp at the time was only ~61F.)  I noticed before I moved them downstairs, when I fed them, the excitement for food had dropped where as they used to come pouring out, to maybe 1 or 2 would bother if at all.  Last week I got a wine chiller installed and temp has been down to 49F.  I noticed they are still foraging, still responsive if I am checking the status of the nest, but a lot less active.  Oct/Nov is the pretty normal hibernation time here in the North East for most insects, so timing seemed right.  Wondering if being in California, your's just may be going into hibernation a bit later due to the warmer climate?

#7 Offline Saftron - Posted December 1 2016 - 8:52 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Update on my Tetramorium, this video is probably better than a long paragraph so here!

Edited by Antkeeperxxx, December 1 2016 - 8:54 PM.

#8 Offline Mdrogun - Posted December 2 2016 - 9:59 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Update on my Tetramorium, this video is probably better than a long paragraph so here!

please hold your phone horizontally next time. Also, are you sure this is sp. e? sp. e workers are entirely black but I didn't see a single worker in your colony that was.

Edited by Mdrogun, December 2 2016 - 10:01 PM.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#9 Offline T.C. - Posted December 2 2016 - 10:03 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I bet you will have a worker explosion here soon. ;)

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#10 Offline Saftron - Posted December 2 2016 - 10:33 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Mdrogun most of the brood are finally starting to eclose so there is a majority of Callows and also most of the black workers were in the other chambers on the side, it's hard to see and as you can tell I am using a phone to record and it cannot fit inside the Inception chamber. Tetramorium Caespitum are the only Tetramorium species in the Bay Area based off of AntWeb so it is most likely Tetramorium Caespitum or some unusually large temnothorax which is unlikely. Queen is about 7-8mm

You can check out my video above this one and that one is a week before this video and gives a better view of the workers while this one is mainly Focused on the brood.

Edited by Antkeeperxxx, December 3 2016 - 8:57 AM.

#11 Offline Saftron - Posted December 5 2016 - 3:17 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Not an update but it seem's my Tetramorium like King's Hawaiian Bread. 

image.jpg

• drtrmiller likes this

#12 Offline Mdrogun - Posted December 6 2016 - 5:34 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Mdrogun most of the brood are finally starting to eclose so there is a majority of Callows and also most of the black workers were in the other chambers on the side, it's hard to see and as you can tell I am using a phone to record and it cannot fit inside the Inception chamber. Tetramorium Caespitum are the only Tetramorium species in the Bay Area based off of AntWeb so it is most likely Tetramorium Caespitum or some unusually large temnothorax which is unlikely. Queen is about 7-8mm

You can check out my video above this one and that one is a week before this video and gives a better view of the workers while this one is mainly Focused on the brood.

While antweb.org is a good reference it is not always 100% accurate. Someone might need to correct me but I believe that what was originally thought of as Tetramorium caespitum in the US has been renamed to Tetramroium sp. e.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#13 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted December 7 2016 - 7:40 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Tetramorium sp. E represents many Tetramorium (including T. caespitum, although that name is also commonly used as a placeholder) that can only really be separated genetically. I've heard varying accounts of how many different Tetramorium these are, but I'm pretty sure there are at least four of them that are unnamed.

Edited by Batspiderfish, December 7 2016 - 7:42 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#14 Offline Saftron - Posted December 8 2016 - 8:23 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Here is a quick video on my Tetramorium. They are pretty fast! This time I recorded sideways and zoomed in the furthest I could.

#15 Offline Saftron - Posted December 14 2016 - 2:19 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Here are more pics of them:

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Edited by Saftron, December 14 2016 - 2:25 PM.

#16 Offline sgheaton - Posted December 16 2016 - 6:22 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

You've got quite a bit of movement still compared to mine. Once I moved them into the basement, they slowed down a bit. Basically are all together in one pile. 

You giving yours coffee? I suppose I should "refeed" mine and do a check in on them this weekend. Thanks for the reminder, now lets see if it sticks!

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#17 Offline Goldsystem - Posted December 16 2016 - 4:35 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
Mine won't stop they won't let me hibernate themi

#18 Offline Diesel - Posted December 16 2016 - 6:13 PM

Diesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maine
I hear that goldy. My Camponotus did the same thing.

Ant Species kept

Temnothorax Longispinosus.-Journal(discontinued)-(formerly)

Camponotus Noveboracensis (formerly)

Camponotus Nearticus-formerly

Tetramorium sp.-formerly

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Queen & brood.-formerly

Tapinoma Sessile-Journal (3 queen colony)-formerly

​Tapinoma  Sessile #2 (2 queen colony)-formerly

Aphaenogaster Picea-Journal-active

Crematogaster sp.(Cerasi or Lineolata) Queen with 3 workers and brood-formerly

​Crematogaster sp. #2 (Cerasi or Lineolata) Queen with brood-formerly

Formica sp. polygenus-active 300+ workers-active

Formica Subsericea-active 25+ workers-active

Myrmica Rubra 400+ workers 3 queens-active

#19 Offline Saftron - Posted December 18 2016 - 9:52 AM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

This colony is doing very well. I would say 65-80 workers. About 35-40 pupae, 30-40 eggs and a ton of larvae. The new workers eclosing are the same length as the nanitics but appear to have slightly larger heads and slightly larger gasters, not major enough to be majors.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Edited by Saftron, December 18 2016 - 9:58 AM.

#20 Offline Leo - Posted December 18 2016 - 5:42 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

cool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users