• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium Sp. E Colony (First time keeper)

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Saftron - Posted December 19 2016 - 6:47 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Sadly a killer fungus that killed Drew and antmans colonies has gotten into the inception chamber, I cleaned it out and hydrogen peroxided the whole outworld. I am trying to get them to move but I am very scared these guys will die. If they do I will probably quit ant keeping so hopefully they survive! :(

#22 Offline Kevin - Posted December 19 2016 - 7:01 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I don't see why that would make you quit. Colonies die all the time, occasionally things like these happen. I think yours will survive, however.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#23 Offline Saftron - Posted December 19 2016 - 7:02 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

1st colony, they have really grown to me. Spent so much time, effort, and money into these guys and they are my favorite and largest colony. :(

#24 Offline Leo - Posted December 19 2016 - 10:08 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

my first colony died when i had about the same amount of workers as yours, it was my biggest at the time but I'm still here

#25 Offline ant fan - Posted December 31 2016 - 8:14 AM

ant fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I have 2 colonies of the same and they just don't stop growing.

Nice pics here - hope everything turned out ok for you...

#26 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted December 31 2016 - 10:12 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Are they doing ok?

#27 Offline Saftron - Posted December 31 2016 - 2:22 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Yes they are but they are growing slower because I have stopped heating them, the heat caused too much moisture in the formicarium.

#28 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted December 31 2016 - 3:05 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Cool glad to hear :)

#29 Offline Saftron - Posted January 5 2017 - 3:42 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Due to the issue of fungus I have decided to move them out of the Inception Chamber small into a fortress, they only fill half the water tower chamber out of 8 chambers. I have 1 video and some pics of them moving I hope you like them.

IMG_0804.JPGIMG_0803.JPGIMG_0802.JPGIMG_0801.JPGIMG_0800.JPG

• ant fan likes this

#30 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 6 2017 - 12:09 AM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Nice colony

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#31 Offline Saftron - Posted June 13 2017 - 8:15 AM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Hey guys I'm sorta "back" (maybe?) into ant keeping and my Tetra colony has survived about 2-3 months of neglect due to a hard time in my life. They have survived through by a couple drops of sugar, water, and honey (that didn't dry up) throughout those 2 months. The colony definately isn't healthy and has lost half the worker size but I have hope they will survive more since they made it this far.

Edited by Saftron, June 13 2017 - 8:16 AM.

#32 Offline Goldsystem - Posted June 13 2017 - 8:28 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas

Hey guys I'm sorta "back" (maybe?) into ant keeping and my Tetra colony has survived about 2-3 months of neglect due to a hard time in my life. They have survived through by a couple drops of sugar, water, and honey (that didn't dry up) throughout those 2 months. The colony definately isn't healthy and has lost half the worker size but I have hope they will survive more since they made it this far.

Sorry to hear about the bad times, I hope your situation is improving. As far as recovery goes tetramorium are very good at it, if you start feeding them regularly they will start to grow again. I wish you luck with them :)

#33 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 13 2017 - 9:14 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I've based my own colony against Zero's, another Colorado anter, because we caught our queens in the same state, SUPER close to each other relatively speaking, around the same time. He provided them with everything they needed from the get go (Good steady supply of food, heating cable constantly on, proper formicarium) as opposed to me (Got a wild hair to attempt anting which ((I forgot about my current queen entirely)) and never fed them insects (till this year) and just would use.....stuff periodically. Every once in awhile I'd feed them. I would cycle my heating cable on/off about every....12 hours. 

While my colony was surviving and getting by, they weren't thriving as well as they could have been. My numbers were... 1/3 - 1/4 of his for that initial ....5 months.  Like Gold said, just start back up again and they'll come back just fine. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#34 Offline Saftron - Posted August 2 2018 - 9:33 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Update: It’s been about a year and about a month since I last posted on here. Unfortunately my first colony is no longer with me... but I’ve recently acquired two more queens with workers. I hope that these queens will be as successful as my favorite first colony. Glad that I got back into it and I’m glad I got my brother into it now too. My colony will be Colony A, this queen has 1 wing still attached and about 9 workers. My brothers colony will be colony B, this queen has removed all of its wings and has about 6 workers.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#35 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 3 2018 - 6:46 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
That’s great to hear! Good luck! :)

Spoiler

#36 Offline BrianK - Posted August 3 2018 - 11:03 AM

BrianK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Bay Area
Wishing you and your new queens all the best and it was nice meeting you yesterday.

#37 Offline Saftron - Posted August 5 2018 - 4:39 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Update: Colony A is at about 12 workers and Colony B is at about 11 workers. Colony B seems to be more excited when they are fed and pull their food to the cotton. Colony A is more cautious I would say and just leave the food where it is and feed from there. When I was feeding colony A sugar water, the queen's wing got stuck and she was unable to move for I don't know how long but I was able to get her free and she's been doing fine. Colony B's queen is always helping her workers when it come's to moving food. 

#38 Offline Saftron - Posted August 7 2018 - 7:30 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

They love Scrambled Eggs! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users