• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Polymorphism genus specific?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Barristan - Posted June 27 2018 - 12:43 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Is worker polymorphism genus specific or can and ant genus have species with worker polymorphism and without?

Was thinking if I could add it to all species belonging to a genus in my database if I know at least one species which has this criteria.

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 27 2018 - 1:58 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Solenopsis molesta are monomorphic, S. fugax is dimorphic, S. geminata is polymorphic.  Clearly, there can be variation within a genus, but you'd need to examine the individual species within the genus to make that determination.  The trait is species-specific, not genus-specific.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 27 2018 - 1:59 PM.

• BobJ likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Barristan - Posted June 27 2018 - 2:19 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Thank you for your answer terry we already had that discussion about Solenopsis in chat. But what about other genera. Are there Pheidole species that are not polymorphic (I include dimorphism here too), or Camponotus, or Messor? Or are there Lasius species which are polymorphic, I can't think about one.

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 27 2018 - 5:57 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Identification keys for Pheidole specifically reference dimorphism as a distinguished trait for the genus, while also acknowledging that a small number of Pheidole are polymorphic.  ID keys are a good reference for your exact question, thought it's important to recognize that worker morphology may vary even between bioregions.

I would not blanket list an entire genus as having a single worker morphology unless I could find references to verify it.

Edited by drtrmiller, June 27 2018 - 6:03 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline CoolColJ - Posted June 28 2018 - 3:56 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

There are Carebara without majors, so it is species specific in some genus

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users