• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cephalotes sp. keeping

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsAreCool55 - Posted June 26 2018 - 11:37 AM

AntsAreCool55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,
I have caught a Cephalotes sp. queen few days ago,but she seems very stressed in test tube setup,trying to escape through the cotton. She is tiny.
Any test tube alternatives that I should try? Did anyone keep this species successfully? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 Offline ZllGGY - Posted June 26 2018 - 12:32 PM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

I would say just let her be. She will more than likely calm down and if she's fertile then she will also lay eggs. Just takes a while sometimes. Every ant is different, unfortunately the hobby is never an exact measure

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 26 2018 - 4:54 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

More information would be useful as would a picture. Cephalotes are extremely difficult. They also like very cramped nesting sites so a test tube is likely to be  far to open for her to feel comfortable.

• LC3 likes this

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted June 26 2018 - 5:00 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

To add on to what gcsnelling said, Cephalotes evolved to exploit pre-existing galleries in wood, mostly bored by beetles. They're pretty picky about it and like it when the exit is just big enough for them to plug it with their heads. Also it seems like nitrogen plays a rather big role in their diet which they obtain from bird poop.

#5 Offline Leo - Posted June 26 2018 - 10:41 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

I would say you should drill as mall hole in some wood. But is suck sooo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users