• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

General Mushroom Off-Topic Thread

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline GeorgeK - Posted June 19 2018 - 3:26 PM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

So i decided to make general off-topic mushroom thread where I guess everyone is invited to post pictures of mushrooms he finds.

I'm not a mushroom expert so every picture of mushrooms i post, i very likely won't know what it is, and i probably found it while anting

This ones are growing on infamous hornet nest in my neighborhood, nobody dares come near that stump for fear of his own life ( damn them hornets)

FYMBQHa.jpg

These ones i found near vineyard where soil is 50/50 soil/sand

62f8UTy.jpg

Up close picture of small one

SfF7Kly.jpg

Now this one was found in my orchard after rain, so it must`ve grown to its current size ( around 10 cm? ) in less than a day, looks like those spongy morel mushrooms to me

bw9pawN.jpg

"Trail" of mushrooms also found in my orchard

hZAqylq.jpg

Up close picture of one of those mushrooms ( i failed focus on this picture )

8IOkPZj.jpg

• DaveJay likes this

#2 Offline GeorgeK - Posted November 22 2018 - 4:03 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

Been a while, I forgot to post last batch of shrooms I found, which was probably a little more interesting

First is this bunch of mushrooms on some old trees

SvT2sIH.jpg

I also found this cluster of giant white puffbals ( that are actually edible, but good luck persuading my family to try eating it). They are quite big, and can grow even bigger. They were also very spongy

closeup-cluster.jpg

And last but not least... This rather unusual looking mushroom that I found near woodline. It seems to have legs and the actual mushroom is on some pedestal

hGcNlFd.jpg

• FSTP, DaveJay and Jean like this

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 22 2018 - 4:28 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

That last one is a type of puffball as well. The first one looks like a species of oyster mushroom.

I take a lot of mushroom pictures these days, they can be found over at http://inaturalist.org

Edited by gcsnelling, November 22 2018 - 4:41 AM.

• GeorgeK and DaveJay like this

#4 Offline DaveJay - Posted November 22 2018 - 5:03 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
Nice pics! There's certainly some interesting mushrooms out there that's for sure. I was fond of little gold ones for a while as a teenager but that's a different story! Lol ;)

#5 Offline GeorgeK - Posted January 4 2019 - 9:09 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

While browsing my pics, I found pics I must've skipped while uploading. The mushrooms grew on wooden handle of hoe and were size of pinky fingernail.

umUo5md.jpg

pbGxB4P.jpg

kouHCiD.jpg

v6Q6j75.jpg

• FSTP likes this

#6 Offline FSTP - Posted January 4 2019 - 9:14 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Those are the cutest little mushrooms, they're like little pillows!

• GeorgeK likes this

#7 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 4 2019 - 4:02 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Ahh an easy one this is Schizophyllum commune  the split gill mushroom. A cool but very common fungus.

Edited by gcsnelling, January 4 2019 - 4:15 PM.

• GeorgeK likes this

#8 Offline Jean - Posted January 17 2019 - 7:33 PM

Jean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationArizona

Been a while, I forgot to post last batch of shrooms I found, which was probably a little more interesting

First is this bunch of mushrooms on some old trees

SvT2sIH.jpg

I also found this cluster of giant white puffbals ( that are actually edible, but good luck persuading my family to try eating it). They are quite big, and can grow even bigger. They were also very spongy

closeup-cluster.jpg

And last but not least... This rather unusual looking mushroom that I found near woodline. It seems to have legs and the actual mushroom is on some pedestal

hGcNlFd.jpg

Thx for all these pics ... have recently gotten interested in mushrooms was thinking mushroom hunting + ant hunting could go together well. Also just started using some Lion's Mane as a supplement, we'll see if it works as advertised and I soon develop super human mental powers!  ;)

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 18 2019 - 3:20 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

That last one is one of the earth star puffballs.

#10 Offline Subverted - Posted January 18 2019 - 10:35 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

FYMBQHa.jpg

Can't see the underside of these but based on the growth form...check out Meripilus species. The underside should have pores.

bw9pawN.jpg

Consider Amanita vittadinii

hGcNlFd.jpg

Looks like Geastrum fornicatum

Edited by Subverted, January 18 2019 - 11:21 PM.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users