• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Topeka, Kansas. 6/15/18

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted June 15 2018 - 3:29 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Topeka Kansas, June 15th, 2018. She was found wandering across a parking lot near a park and wooded creek. Otherwise, the surrounding area is all residential with established trees. I'd probably say she's 11mm, maybe 12mm laying flat. Good a couple nights ago, but it really starting to dry back out. I'm wondering if she flew a then and was trying to relocate.

The photos do pretty good justice to the color, imo, but might be a little more dull in real life. Pretty sure she's a Camponotus, but I'm not very confident past that. She almost reminds me C. castaneus, but she's so small compared to the 13-15mm I'm seeing as normal. Thoughts?

UdD9C7t.png

#2 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 15 2018 - 3:40 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Looks like Formica in the pallidefulva group.

• Antsinmycloset likes this

#3 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted June 15 2018 - 3:45 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

You may be right. Looked at the spotting chart, and I guess they DO fly a bit in June. I thought they were more July/August than they seem to be.

#4 Offline AntsBC - Posted June 17 2018 - 12:13 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

A formica species.

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube