• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Glen Allen, VA, US (6/11/2018) - First Colony

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hufflez - Posted June 11 2018 - 6:22 PM

Hufflez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGlen Allen, VA

Hey guys,

I was walking earlier this afternoon after a major, several day long rainstorm here in the Richmond area, Virginia and caught a colony of some sort of camponotus colony while looking in a rotting *oak tree?* log. This is a picture of them just as I got them in their test tube set up. Is the tube big enough, what should I feed them at this point, when should I feed them, should I use my heating cable with them, which formicaria? Aghhhh so many questions, please help me!!! Any tips as to how to take care of them or what species you think they are would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for any help!

I didn't quite get the measurement of the ant but the tube is 16x150mm if that helps at all! sorry about that.

2A3Qp1i.jpg
89t1BK1.jpgwrnizmM.jpg
037ZlhS.jpg
258s.jpg

- Hufflez

#2 Offline super_oil - Posted June 11 2018 - 6:49 PM

super_oil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida

These aren't Camponotus, they are Aphaenogaster sp. You should place the test tube in an outworld and put food in the outworld for them to eat. An outworld is just an area where your ants can forage for food, make sure they can't escape out of the outworld and make sure there's ventilation in the outworld. If you are using a plastic container as an outworld, make sure you bore holes in the lid and stuff the holes with cotton for ventilation. They need sugar and protein. For sugar, use sugar water. For protein, you can purchase feeders like fruit flies, crickets, and meal worms from pet stores. They might also like apples. If you want to know more about the genus you're keeping you can do some research on them through websites like Formiculture and YouTube.

• AnthonyP163 likes this

Just a little boy that likes ants. I try my best to be mature and competent.

My Colonies

Camponotus floridanus

Crematogaster pinicola

#3 Offline Hufflez - Posted June 11 2018 - 6:49 PM

Hufflez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGlen Allen, VA

I'm also leaning towards purchasing a Mini Hearth. Here's what I picked out. Is this a good option? Sorry for all the questions just anxious to keep this queen alive.

Mini Hearth (Type III)
Color (Exterior Only):Bone
Foraging Style:Top Foraging Style (Nucleus Style)
Decor:No Decor (Foraging Area)
Nestmate Option:Add Nestmate
Glass Type:Standard Glass
Foraging Substrate Type:Vermiculite (tan/brown)
Interior Substrate Type:White Sand (Standard)
Additions:None

#4 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 11 2018 - 6:53 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

I'm also leaning towards purchasing a Mini Hearth. Here's what I picked out. Is this a good option? Sorry for all the questions just anxious to keep this queen alive.

Mini Hearth (Type III)

That should be fine, but remember that the Mini Hearths with foraging areas on the top can't be disconnected from the nest. This won't prevent you from moving them out when need be, but it's just something to note. 

#5 Offline Hufflez - Posted June 11 2018 - 7:01 PM

Hufflez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGlen Allen, VA

Mini Hearth (Type III)

That should be fine, but remember that the Mini Hearths with foraging areas on the top can't be disconnected from the nest. This won't prevent you from moving them out when need be, but it's just something to note. 

Okay, I'll go with the mini hearth with the foraging nest on the side. Unless you have a better recommendation for these types of ants or ants in general?  Also what's the differnece in the types of mini hearth? Thanks for the help!

#6 Offline Hufflez - Posted June 11 2018 - 7:04 PM

Hufflez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGlen Allen, VA

These aren't Camponotus, they are Aphaenogaster sp. You should place the test tube in an outworld and put food in the outworld for them to eat. An outworld is just an area where your ants can forage for food, make sure they can't escape out of the outworld and make sure there's ventilation in the outworld. If you are using a plastic container as an outworld, make sure you bore holes in the lid and stuff the holes with cotton for ventilation. They need sugar and protein. For sugar, use sugar water. For protein, you can purchase feeders like fruit flies, crickets, and meal worms from pet stores. They might also like apples. If you want to know more about the genus you're keeping you can do some research on them through websites like Formiculture and YouTube.

Thanks for the help! I'm looking into some cool youtube videos about them right now. Do you have a link to where I can read more about them on this forum? What species this is in particular?

#7 Offline super_oil - Posted June 11 2018 - 7:07 PM

super_oil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida

The type is based on the material the formicarium is made of, you can research more on the THA website.

Just a little boy that likes ants. I try my best to be mature and competent.

My Colonies

Camponotus floridanus

Crematogaster pinicola

#8 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 11 2018 - 7:19 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Mini Hearth (Type III)

Okay, I'll go with the mini hearth with the foraging nest on the side. Unless you have a better recommendation for these types of ants or ants in general?  Also what's the differnece in the types of mini hearth? Thanks for the help!

Type III is tougher, and Type I is Ytong. Always go with Type III stuff, just in case. I do very much recommend the Mini-Hearth Type III.

#9 Offline Hufflez - Posted June 11 2018 - 7:24 PM

Hufflez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGlen Allen, VA

Thanks so much for the help guys! I'm going to leave this case open until I find out what species it is but I just ordered the Mini Hearth and am extremely excited for what's to come. I might even make a journal about them if i'm not too busy with work! Feel free to leave any more advice if anyone else has this species/genus and would like to pass along some info. 

-Jack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users