• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Someone tell me what this means?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted June 9 2018 - 2:27 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

I put my S. Molesta queen i caught last week in a test tube setup six days ago. She's well and alive... except she seems to have burrowed into the wet cottonball and camped over there haha. It kinda sucks because now I can't really see her well, and I have to get a magnifying glass to see her moving through a tiny orifice that she made, which even then only lets me see part of her thorax moving around. Can someone tell me if it means anything, or if it does, how can I prevent it? I do want to see her if possible, but at the same time, if she's ok this way, then I might as well leave her there. Just out of concern and curiosity.

:>

#2 Offline Waganga - Posted June 9 2018 - 2:36 PM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

Maybe it would be good to add a small amount of sterile substrate to the tube? So she has something else to dig into besides the cotton? 

• Solenoqueen likes this

#3 Offline rbarreto - Posted June 9 2018 - 3:07 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Could it be that you didn't push the cotton in far enough so she is just trying to get to where its more humid?

Edited by rbarreto, June 9 2018 - 3:08 PM.

• Solenoqueen likes this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#4 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted June 9 2018 - 3:20 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Maybe you're right... how would I fix this though, I want to see her Highness  ;) , but if there is no safe way to do it, I guess I should just leave her there. Anyone else?

#5 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted June 9 2018 - 4:59 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Maybe it is because she is so small. She probably wants a smaller living space, viewing the cotton as digging medium. I'd agree with adding some dirt, or just forgetting about it.

• Solenoqueen likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#6 Offline Scrixx - Posted June 9 2018 - 5:35 PM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

I noticed the same thing with three of the S. molesta queens I put in a tupperware setup with cotton. They seem to like digging into it or at least getting in a very tight spot. I think they just want a very small founding space.

• Solenoqueen likes this

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#7 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted June 9 2018 - 6:50 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

They are tiny ants after all. I don't want my bed room to be 50 feet high while I sleep.

• Solenoqueen likes this

#8 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted June 10 2018 - 6:09 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Haha, thanks guys. No more concerns, but I won't see her with the brood and stuff. As long as she is happy it's alright with me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users