• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Requesting all knowledge about Dorymyrmex bureni

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Shifty189 - Posted June 7 2018 - 9:24 AM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Hi everyone, I have been trying to keep a few Dorymyrmex bureni colony's, but am running into a problem where i can't seam to get enough information about them. Mainly i'm having trouble finding some protein source that they will eat. I have tried a few different kinds of insects and nuts, but they don't seam to be eating very much. to date i have only seen then collect a single cricket leg. 

Any information that can be provided would be GREATLY appreciated.

P.S. my coloney's are ranging from 3 to 10 workers at the moment.

#2 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 7 2018 - 9:27 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

You should try a few fruit flies. Freeze them first so they don't have to chase them around. Not even my most picky ants will turn down a fruit fly.

Edited by Ants_Texas, June 7 2018 - 9:34 AM.

• Jamie_Garrison and Shifty189 like this

#3 Offline Shifty189 - Posted June 7 2018 - 9:51 AM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Thanks for the advice, i'll pick some up today and try them out.

according to https://en.wikipedia...rymyrmex_burenithey "hunt living insects". I might have to try a frozen one, and maybe one with a wing pulled off.

Edited by Shifty189, June 7 2018 - 9:55 AM.

• Ants_Texas likes this

#4 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted June 7 2018 - 11:55 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
Rice flour beetle larvae, fruit flies, and wild caught mosquitos and midges are a good place to start for this species when it comes to fresh insects. Solenopsis invicta and Brachymyrmex queens are also eagerly accepted. Desiccated foods like freeze dried bloodworms and krill have also prompted results, as well as crumbled hard boiled egg yoke and small strips of cooked chicken. Foraging and acceptance of food tends to be greater when workers are provided with an outworld exposed to higher temperatures, which can be accomplished by the addition of an incandescent lamp to keep a part of their arena surface at 95-100 degrees. Incipient colonies are extremely timid and probably rely exclusively on scavenging during initial foraging trips. Larger colonies are a lot less picky, but the species in general does not eat much. The larvae have fed well if they have dark stomachs.

Crickets have always made a relatively poor feeder for picky ants in my experience.

Edited by 123LordOfAnts123, June 7 2018 - 12:00 PM.

#5 Offline SheepForgeBoi - Posted June 7 2018 - 12:33 PM

SheepForgeBoi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Thanks for the advice, i'll pick some up today and try them out.

according to https://en.wikipedia...rymyrmex_burenithey "hunt living insects". I might have to try a frozen one, and maybe one with a wing pulled off.

You should get flightless or wingless fruit flies from the store instead of pulling off fruit flies wings.

• Ants_Texas likes this

#6 Offline Enderz - Posted June 7 2018 - 1:00 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Have you tried moths before? Gaige says that even the most picky of his ants will eat moths.

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#7 Offline Shifty189 - Posted June 7 2018 - 3:05 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
I have not tried moths. I will try and catch one for them.

Than you all for the advice.

#8 Offline Shifty189 - Posted June 7 2018 - 3:08 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Rice flour beetle larvae, fruit flies, and wild caught mosquitos and midges are a good place to start for this species when it comes to fresh insects. Solenopsis invicta and Brachymyrmex queens are also eagerly accepted. Desiccated foods like freeze dried bloodworms and krill have also prompted results, as well as crumbled hard boiled egg yoke and small strips of cooked chicken. Foraging and acceptance of food tends to be greater when workers are provided with an outworld exposed to higher temperatures, which can be accomplished by the addition of an incandescent lamp to keep a part of their arena surface at 95-100 degrees. Incipient colonies are extremely timid and probably rely exclusively on scavenging during initial foraging trips. Larger colonies are a lot less picky, but the species in general does not eat much. The larvae have fed well if they have dark stomachs.

Crickets have always made a relatively poor feeder for picky ants in my experience.

I was hoping you would see this thread. I do see dark larva, so maybe they are eating enough and I’m just overly concerned. With that being said, finding tons of RIFA queens shouldn’t be very hard. I can try them. Also I keep them in an outside room, so there outsold shouldn’t be much colder ham you are suggesting

#9 Offline Shifty189 - Posted June 7 2018 - 3:24 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
Just checked them and found this. I’m assuming this means they are well fed, and I should stop worrying so much.

#10 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 7 2018 - 4:27 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Have you tried moths before? Gaige says that even the most picky of his ants will eat moths.

Yeah, good idea. Not sure if y'all have those pesky grass moths in Florida, but if you do they're awesome feeders.

Edited by Ants_Texas, June 7 2018 - 4:28 PM.

#11 Offline Shifty189 - Posted June 7 2018 - 4:35 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
We have plenty of moths that look like the images I see when googling grass moths. I’ll try giving them one.

#12 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted June 7 2018 - 4:57 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

We have plenty of moths that look like the images I see when googling grass moths. I’ll try giving them one.

Just make sure they're pesticide free. I would assume people would spray everywhere trying to berid of them.

#13 Offline Shifty189 - Posted June 7 2018 - 5:25 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
I have a few unmanaged fields near my house that will probably be safe. I’m more worried about mits and other parasites now that I know they prefer live food, and apparently my larva are fed just fine judging by there dark belly’s.

Edited by Shifty189, June 7 2018 - 5:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users