• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Split, Croatia, S. Europe - worker id red-red-black

worker id cataglyphis

Best Answer Barristan , June 1 2018 - 2:20 AM

I think this is a Camponotus lateralis worker, They are known to follow Crematogaster scutellaris trails and steal the prey from them.

I have kept both species in the same formicarium, but I had to separate them since the Camponotus lateralis stole all the protein food and carried it to their nest so the Crematogaster scutellaris had nothing left....

IMG 2677
IMG 3398
IMG 3403
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 1 2018 - 2:09 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

1. Location of collection: Caffe in pine forested recreational zone in immediate vicinity of sea.

2. Date of collection: 31th May 2018.
3. Habitat of collection: Pine forest on sea coast, oriented South, on a wooden fence
4. Length : 3-4mm
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: red head and thorax, black gaster
6. Distinguishing characteristics : foraging alone
7. Anything else distinctive: not to my eye.
8. Nest description : n/a.
9 . Post the clearest pictures possible: the container is plastic and not very clear. sorry.

So I was chillin' in a caffe, where I spotted a trail of C. scutellaris. Nothing new, they are all over. But then I spotted a different coloration right next to them. Instead of having black thorax, this one had it red. This is a characteristic of Crematogaster schmidti, an allopatric species to C. scutellaris. What it means is that, due to geographic separation, they bread out into two separate species, unable to hybridize. I have observed C. scutellaris in the coast (south of the very close by mountain range), and C. schmidti to the North of the mountains, not 5 miles away.

It intrigued me as to why they are coexisting now (highways? greater traffic?), so I collected the specimen.

Taking a second look, I realized it was not a Crematogaster at all, so I am asking for your help identifying it.

The photos are crap, but how many Mediterranean ants have such coloration? 

Could it be Cataglyphis nodus? Hm... seems too small to be it.

Any ideas?

Tnx!

IMG 20180531 200918
IMG 6487
IMG 6480
IMG 6477

#2 Offline Barristan - Posted June 1 2018 - 2:20 AM   Best Answer

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

I think this is a Camponotus lateralis worker, They are known to follow Crematogaster scutellaris trails and steal the prey from them.

I have kept both species in the same formicarium, but I had to separate them since the Camponotus lateralis stole all the protein food and carried it to their nest so the Crematogaster scutellaris had nothing left....

IMG 2677
IMG 3398
IMG 3403

Edited by Barristan, June 1 2018 - 2:20 AM.

• skocko76 and rbarreto like this

#3 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 1 2018 - 5:01 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

That makes a lot of sense!

I didn't expect workers of C. lateralis to be that small though. When I think Camponotus, usually I think of larger ants.

It's great to hear they can be kept inside the same formicarium, feeding problems aside.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: worker id, cataglyphis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users