• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Photo journey of how to build a grout formicarium

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Offline KBant - Posted August 26 2017 - 12:33 AM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Grout Mixture Experiment

I mixed 5 tablespoons of unsanded grout with various additives in small disposable plastic cups and let them dry for a week. 

I recorded how badly it cracked after one week of drying and how absorptive it was.

I experimented with:

• Uncrushed perlite  (called Regular Perlite below)
  • Perlite lightly crushed with a rolling pin  (called Perlite Powder below)
  • Perlite finely ground in a coffee grinder  (called Ground Perlite below)
  • Sand (regular sand meant for kid's sandboxes)

Pure un-sanded grout:                              No cracks     Absorbed extremely slowly and moisture did not seem to spread far

1/6 Perlite Powder + 1/6 Regular Perlite:  No cracks     Absorbed at an average rate

1/6 sand + 1/6 Regular Perlite :                No cracks     Absorbed at an average rate

1/6 sand + Perlite Powder:                        Cracked       Absorbed at an average rate

1/4 Regular Perlite:                                   No cracks     Absorbed at an average rate

1/3 Regular Perlite:                                   Cracked       Absorbed quickly

1/4 Perlite Powder:                                    Slight crack  Absorbed at an average rate

1/3 Perlite Powder:                                    Slight crack  Absorbed at an average rate

1/2 Sand:                                                  Cracked        Absorbed at an average rate

1/3 Sand:                                                  No cracks      Absorbed at an average rate

1/4 Sand:                                                  No cracks      Absorbed slowly and somewhat unevenly

1/3 Sand + 1/6 Regular Perlite:                 Slight crack   Absorbed at an average rate

1/3 Sand + 1/6 Perlite Powder:                 Cracked        Absorbed at an average rate

Definition for cracks:

No cracks = no cracks of any kind.

Slight crack = a tiny hairline crack that was barely visible.

Cracked = a crack that went all the way through, and an ant might be able to get a good enough grip to chew on it.  The crack was quite obvious.

The grout mixture was only about 5mm thick, so that may account for some of the cracks.  If it was thicker some of the cracks may have not occurred.

Perlite Powder seems to lead to a higher cracking possibility.

Sand settles quite quickly, which may affect the absorbancy on the reverse side.  I left these in the cups and did not remove them when testing the absorbancy.

i noticed you didn't use any ground perlite in your experiment but mentioned it in the list of ingredients you tested. do you remember your results? thank you!

#62 Offline Crystals - Posted August 28 2017 - 7:16 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

i noticed you didn't use any ground perlite in your experiment but mentioned it in the list of ingredients you tested. do you remember your results? thank you!

If I recall correctly (and this was a long time ago), they either all cracked or I forgot to include it in the experiment since it was so close to lightly crushed perlite.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#63 Offline Poarch0 - Posted January 14 2018 - 6:16 PM

Poarch0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Can you use fine perlite instead of crushing it?

I only read first post, carry on.

Edited by Poarch0, January 14 2018 - 6:19 PM.

#64 Offline Crystals - Posted January 14 2018 - 7:43 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Can you use fine perlite instead of crushing it?

I only read first post, carry on.

Yes, or, if you use my guide on the advanced hydration formicarium, you won't even need perlite as you use more sand instead.

Advanced Hydration Formicarium: http://www.formicult...ion/#entry28868

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#65 Offline TKD102 - Posted July 16 2018 - 2:46 PM

TKD102

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Can you use other types of vegetable oils? I'm sort of cheap when it comes to it, so maybe something more affordable for my area would be good like corn oil or peanut oil, would those work too?

P.S.

I love the tutorials !!!

Edited by TKD102, July 16 2018 - 3:05 PM.

Currently Keeping:

Tetramorium Immigrans

#66 Offline Crystals - Posted July 16 2018 - 4:29 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Can you use other types of vegetable oils? I'm sort of cheap when it comes to it, so maybe something more affordable for my area would be good like corn oil or peanut oil, would those work too?

P.S.

I love the tutorials !!!

I don't see why not. It just keeps the grout from sticking. I do recommend the advanced hydration tutorial though. it is easier than this one.  :)

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users