• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New from St. Louis Missouri!

new queens ants

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jsg994 - Posted May 12 2018 - 1:20 PM

jsg994

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Hello everyone!  Over the last few weeks I have become obsessed with starting my own ant colony.  When I was a kid my mom (thanks Mom!) never let me have my own ant farm.  Now that I am nearing 30 I feel like it's time to fulfill my childhood dream (or one of them).  The last few days I have been out hunting for queens but haven't been able to find any.  Watched tons of videos and found great websites so I think that once I do find a queen I will be ready to go!  Look forward to learning some neat stuff from you guys and gals!

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#2 Offline Gorynevada - Posted May 12 2018 - 3:14 PM

Gorynevada

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hey jsg994! Welcome to the Forums! I also live in Missouri about 2 hours or so away, I live more in the country. Anyways there aren't too many people who do ants in Missouri as far as I've seen. However, I am new to anting as well. I've looked for a queen for the past 2 weeks for about 1-3 hours a day with no lucky, I've found about 20 colonies or so just in my backyard(I have a big backyard). I have heard it is easier to look on concrete and such. Another thing I read is since you are just starting you want to find a ant that is not a escape artist just so you don't have to worry about them busting out. Other than that you should add me as a friend so we can work together when they start to fly even more.

#3 Offline BMM - Posted May 13 2018 - 10:09 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Welcome. Flights should start kicking off soon, so hopefully you'll get a chance to catch a few queens.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, queens, ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users