• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Critter Keeper Boring Hole help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Canadant - Posted May 8 2018 - 12:57 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Hi, fellow ant keepers. My ants are awake and my queen is laying like crazy! They are a Camponotus Novaeboricensis ant and I'm going to build them a nice outworld with a grout bottom and plastic plants etc. However, I'm not a hundred percent sure on how to bore the hole in the critter keeper I have. I will bore wo holes - One for yube in and one for tube out but, I don't want to accidentally destroy it or crack it. Any suggestions or experience with boring holes in hard plastic? 

Sincerely,

Canadant

Edited by Canadant, May 8 2018 - 12:58 PM.

"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted May 8 2018 - 1:18 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Do you not have a drill and bit?

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 8 2018 - 1:19 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Cover the area that you want to bore into with a few layers of some kind of tape(this keeps it from cracking as it give it some support). Then just get a pair of scissors and use one of the scissor blades to drill through it. Trust me, I've done it with thick, hard plastic. Just a little elbow grease and your through.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#4 Offline Canadant - Posted May 8 2018 - 3:45 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Cover the area that you want to bore into with a few layers of some kind of tape(this keeps it from cracking as it give it some support). Then just get a pair of scissors and use one of the scissor blades to drill through it. Trust me, I've done it with thick, hard plastic. Just a little elbow grease and your through.

Thanks Tennessee. Should i cover both sides with tape or just one? Duct tape fine? Much appreciated.

To the former poster, I do not have a drill and bit.

#5 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 8 2018 - 4:33 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Thanks Tennessee. Should i cover both sides with tape or just one? Duct tape fine? Much appreciated.

To the former poster, I do not have a drill and bit.

Both sides would just provide more support, so sure.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#6 Offline MaxGen - Posted May 8 2018 - 6:24 PM

MaxGen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationToronto
I use a reaming drill bit. I can choose what size hole to drill easily.

#7 Offline Canadant - Posted May 11 2018 - 3:21 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Wow Tennessee, that worked great. Shout out to you and a big thanks!! Outworld looks great!!

• FeedTheAnts likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users