• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Missouri Nuptial Flight Sightings

nuptial flight missouri ant sighting queen

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Gorynevada - Posted May 6 2018 - 3:59 PM

Gorynevada

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I Figured I would go ahead and create and area where people who ant in Missouri can work together to make sure we all find ants we want to find this anting season.

I have been Noticing some ants increasing their activity and that entrances of their nest. I have about 10 colonies in the back of my yard and I check them daily its rained several times but, I have never noticed any alates. I have a wide variety. I am new to anting and cannot identify them all but, I do know I have some Solonopsis molesta, Solonpsis Invicta,Monomorium minimum, and a lot of Camponotus pennsylvanicus. However I am new to anting and all of this is based on things I have read online on forums.

I will post on here once I see alates start to form on the outer sides of the nest. Never seen another person from Missouri who even does ants, so it would be nice to know that I am not alone.

Edited by Gorynevada, May 8 2018 - 6:18 AM.

#2 Offline BMM - Posted May 7 2018 - 9:45 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I haven't seen any flights yet, but Camponotus should be starting any time now. Wednesday is supposed to be rainy, with Thursday being in the mid 80's. That'll probably be the first big flight of the year.

Also the term you're looking for is alates, not alleles. Auto-correct might be getting the better of you.

#3 Offline jsg994 - Posted May 13 2018 - 9:57 AM

jsg994

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Hello, just wanted to say hi and that I will be out looking for queens as much as I can!  I'll let you guys know if I see anything!

#4 Offline BMM - Posted May 19 2018 - 8:13 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis
Still no Camponotus flights from what I can tell. Based on last year I expected them to fly sooner.

#5 Offline jsg994 - Posted May 19 2018 - 1:26 PM

jsg994

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Is it warm enough for Camponotus flights?  

#6 Offline Gorynevada - Posted May 19 2018 - 5:27 PM

Gorynevada

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I really want a Camponotus Penssylanicus but, I've looked everywhere no sights of any queens. I've found 3 colonies so I should hopefully be able to find atleast one. Seen them foraging on my porch because someone spilled some hummingbird sugar water haha.

#7 Offline BMM - Posted May 22 2018 - 11:01 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I think it's been too wet and the nights a bit too cold. I expect them to fly once we get a good humid day that stays above 70° or so during the night. Those were the conditions when they started flying last year. I'd keep an eye out this week just in case, but I'd probably put my money on them flying sometime shortly after Memorial day, which is supposed to be warm but rainy.

#8 Offline Ars3nic3 - Posted May 22 2018 - 1:53 PM

Ars3nic3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Are any of you in SW Missouri? Trying to get my first queens and have been looking around last few weeks. Will they for the most part all fly at the same time? Also good luck everyone!

#9 Offline BMM - Posted May 24 2018 - 3:52 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I believe you're the only one in SW Missouri on these forums. Your range of species is going to be similar to the rest of MO, save that you'll have better access to Pheidole and also the possibility finding Fire Ants. It's likely any flights you see in your area will coincide with what the rest of us (mostly people around St. Louis) see. Right now everyone's waiting on Camponotus to fly.  I caught two different species of them last year and observed a third. Tapinoma sessile and Acorn Ants will probably start flying shortly after that. Some others such as Tetramorium (likely immgrans for you, tsushimae for those of us near St. Louis), Apaenogaster spp., and Thief Ants should start flying once summer truly arrives.

#10 Offline Gorynevada - Posted May 24 2018 - 4:17 AM

Gorynevada

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I am located in the Rolla area Idk if that's considered south west. Lol its sorta smack down in the middle.

Edited by Gorynevada, May 24 2018 - 4:17 AM.

#11 Offline foojile79 - Posted May 24 2018 - 6:47 AM

foojile79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I live in Florissant and haven't seen any camponotus queens flying. I did find 3 queens in a rotted log though (no nest or anything)

#12 Offline Ars3nic3 - Posted May 24 2018 - 7:15 AM

Ars3nic3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

When did you find the queens? I am really hoping I can find some. 

#13 Offline foojile79 - Posted May 24 2018 - 7:27 AM

foojile79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I found them by the river at sunset park
Like 2 days ago (sorry for double post)
Like 2 days ago (sorry for double post)

#14 Offline BMM - Posted May 24 2018 - 10:02 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis
Those may be queens that flew late last year if they don’t have a colony with them. I’ve never caught any of those late bloomers, but apparently they often don’t do well. I recommend waiting to catch your own queens.

#15 Offline foojile79 - Posted May 24 2018 - 11:01 AM

foojile79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yeah one died already and the other one isn't doing too well. I really hope I can get them during flight this year (my first year) make sure to post when you guys see them

#16 Offline foojile79 - Posted May 24 2018 - 12:47 PM

foojile79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Just got home. My second one died

#17 Offline Ars3nic3 - Posted May 24 2018 - 12:53 PM

Ars3nic3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Sucks man. Hopefully we all find every thing we are looking for. 

#18 Offline BMM - Posted May 25 2018 - 12:30 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

The next couple of nights should be very promising. I suggest keeping your porch lights on at night and visiting local parks and woods first thing in the morning. In my experience Camponotus queens are best found on the outskirts of wooded areas under small rocks and logs. One morning last year I was able to find 7 queens in area about the size of a football field. I never had much luck checking sidewalks, so I wouldn't waste much time with that.

#19 Offline Ars3nic3 - Posted May 25 2018 - 12:44 PM

Ars3nic3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Nice. I have a Civil War battlefield down the street from my house with some nice trails. Going to go there this weekend I think and see what I can find. 

#20 Offline foojile79 - Posted May 27 2018 - 7:51 AM

foojile79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I caught a queen camponotus sp. with wings last night (the 26th) so keep an eye out

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nuptial, flight, missouri, ant, sighting, queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users