• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to coax ants into exploring outworld

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MarcSquires - Posted May 6 2018 - 3:35 PM

MarcSquires

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara, CA

Hey all! I haven't been on the forums for a while, but my Camponotus Fragilis colony is doing very well, with a few more than 20 workers in the colony, which is housed in dspdrew's acrylic founding formicarium. I decided I wanted to allow them to explore a bit further, and have placed the formicarium inside an outworld I made, and opened part of it so they could easily explore. Unfortunately, they seem very, very inactive, and aren't really even trying to explore. They haven't even noticed the change as far as I can tell. Is there possibly a reason my ants are so inactive? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted May 6 2018 - 4:00 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

I am a newbie, so these are only guesses, but from what I've read the first bunch of workers are really cautious. It would be devastating to the colony to loose any workers at this stage, where as once the colony gets larger, they can risk more without risking dying off. Also, I don't know anything about C.fragilis, but could they be nocturnal or crepuscular and you just aren't looking at the right time? Do you see any ants come out? they might only use one ant to forage at the moment. I am trying to move my one Crematogaster sp. colony into an antkit starter kit. I hooked up a piece of a straw to the one port and into their test tube sealed off with cotton. They moved into the straw one night while I was at work, so I took the straw and placed it in the outworld and hadn't seen them come out. Yesterday about 5 in the morning they were exploring the outworld and nest. Still haven't moved into the nest, but I know they are alive.

• MarcSquires and BleepingBleepers like this

#3 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted May 6 2018 - 4:12 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
What I do is I place some honey kr a dead fruit fly at the entrance of the tubing that connects the outworld to the nest. It seems to work most of the time. Place the food at the entrance of the outworld and the ants will eventually comr to explore it.
  • MarcSquires likes this

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#4 Offline MarcSquires - Posted May 6 2018 - 7:31 PM

MarcSquires

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I am a newbie, so these are only guesses, but from what I've read the first bunch of workers are really cautious. It would be devastating to the colony to loose any workers at this stage, where as once the colony gets larger, they can risk more without risking dying off. Also, I don't know anything about C.fragilis, but could they be nocturnal or crepuscular and you just aren't looking at the right time? Do you see any ants come out? they might only use one ant to forage at the moment. I am trying to move my one Crematogaster sp. colony into an antkit starter kit. I hooked up a piece of a straw to the one port and into their test tube sealed off with cotton. They moved into the straw one night while I was at work, so I took the straw and placed it in the outworld and hadn't seen them come out. Yesterday about 5 in the morning they were exploring the outworld and nest. Still haven't moved into the nest, but I know they are alive.

What I do is I place some honey kr a dead fruit fly at the entrance of the tubing that connects the outworld to the nest. It seems to work most of the time. Place the food at the entrance of the outworld and the ants will eventually comr to explore it.

Thank you guys! I will definitely try putting food at the entrance to the outworld, and I'm going to set up a time lapse to see if any ants explore overnight. My fingers are crossed :yes:

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted May 7 2018 - 9:26 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
That's entirely normal for small Camponotus colonies. Mine didn't really explore the outworld until they were around 40-50 workers (at which point they occasionally had 3 workers outside though most of the time it was still a single worker doing all the foraging). All you can do is wait, your ants won't walk further then they absolutely must until they have far more workers.
  • MarcSquires likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#6 Offline MarcSquires - Posted May 7 2018 - 2:29 PM

MarcSquires

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

That's entirely normal for small Camponotus colonies. Mine didn't really explore the outworld until they were around 40-50 workers (at which point they occasionally had 3 workers outside though most of the time it was still a single worker doing all the foraging). All you can do is wait, your ants won't walk further then they absolutely must until they have far more workers.

Oh! that's very useful information. I hope this isn't the case for my colony but it's definitely good to know. Should I continue feeding them in the small section outside my nest where they have been receiving food, or will that discourage them from exploring further? Thanks!

#7 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 7 2018 - 2:36 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I have realized that many species only use a certain percentage of their workers. My Lasius only forage with about 0.2% of their workers

• MarcSquires likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#8 Offline MarcSquires - Posted May 7 2018 - 2:39 PM

MarcSquires

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I usually only see 1 worker foraging in the small open area I use to feed the ants. Even that solitary worker usually is really moving all that much. They do seem slightly interesting in the honey i've just given them though.

#9 Offline CoolColJ - Posted May 7 2018 - 10:23 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Depends on the Genus/species. Some of my young colonies have had most of the nanitics explore/forage, leaving only 1 behind to help the queen.

While others only send one out, while others not at all

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#10 Offline MarcSquires - Posted May 9 2018 - 3:21 PM

MarcSquires

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Depends on the Genus/species. Some of my young colonies have had most of the nanitics explore/forage, leaving only 1 behind to help the queen.

While others only send one out, while others not at all

Also good to know. I think my colony is the latter. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users