• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brevard County, Florida (U.S.) - Possible Pheidole Queen?

ant queen ant pheidole florida united states id

Best Answer Canadian anter , May 4 2018 - 2:09 PM

I only know these aren't Phedole dentata . Too early

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Omni - Posted May 4 2018 - 12:40 PM

Omni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

1. Location: Middle of Brevard County (Central Florida)
2. Today's date: 5/4/2018

Body:
1. Location of collection: Collected in backyard in pool at around 1pm, the queen had not been in the pool for long as it was still moving quite fast, not the sluggish struggle of an ant in a pool for awhile.

2. Date of collection: 5/4/2018
3. Habitat of collection: Backyard, there's some trees, but its pretty suburban, mostly just grass.
4. Length: 5-6mm
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: Mostly black throughout, shiny thorax and gaster. Possible sculpturing on the head, couldn't get a good look. 
6. Distinguishing characteristics: The thorax is very flat, but other than its size and coloration not much.

The structure and shape of the queen is VERY similar to Pheidole floridana but with black coloration throughout. I was thinking possible P. metallescens, P. adrianoi, or P. dentata. Then again, this is on the assumption that this is a Pheidole queen. Thanks! 

The pictures are not the best, my apologies. The ant is very small and my camera isn't the best for this small of an insect. 

DZlqKtk.jpg

vyYgsQz.jpg

WIsZl7r.jpg

DZlqKtk

DZlqKtk

DZlqKtk

Edited by Omni, May 4 2018 - 12:40 PM.

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 4 2018 - 2:09 PM   Best Answer

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I only know these aren't Phedole dentata . Too early

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 4 2018 - 7:08 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
In order to get a solid ID, we need better pics. Forget the camera, a 15 dollar macro lense for a smart phone off Amazon is good enough for this :).

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#4 Offline Omni - Posted May 5 2018 - 7:09 AM

Omni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I had no idea those even existed! I'll grab me one! Thanks!

#5 Offline Omni - Posted May 5 2018 - 7:28 AM

Omni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

The pictures are bad, I get that, I'll have better ones later, but for now I'm marking this as "solved" so people don't look at it until those are up.

#6 Offline Shifty189 - Posted May 6 2018 - 6:30 AM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
This looks like a fire ant to me. Best way to tell is check her Gaster, if it’s a fire ant you will see a red pattern on it.

This images kind of shows what I’m trying to describe. Since the fire ants are the most common in our area, and because I don’t know of anything else flying this is my guess.
  • Omni likes this

#7 Offline Omni - Posted May 6 2018 - 12:04 PM

Omni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hey! I really appreciate this, but its probably not. I've got 5 fire ant queens at the moment and this is at least 2/3 the size and its gaster is completely black. Thanks though! 

The pictures are terrible, so I can see that it might appear like it. I'll be posting much better ones next week when my macro lens comes in thanks to the suggestion of YsTheAnt.

• Shifty189 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant, queen ant, pheidole, florida, united states, id

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users