• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

4/22 catch

Best Answer Omni , May 6 2018 - 5:44 PM

Those should do! That's actually Pheidole floridana. They're highly distributed throughout Florida, have some good variation between majors, and are super manageable. Workers and majors are very small and the queen is very adaptable. A friend of mine has a colony that's lasted a year with VERY little maintenance. They kinda just do their thing. I love this species, enjoy!

I'd recommend looking at some pictures of this queen though (you can find many), their more orange (ish) thorax is a wonderfully easy way to identify them. Let me know if this doesnt seem to match, Florida has so many red-ish Pheidole it can be a nightmare to identify them without a close up.

Hope this helps! 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Shifty189 - Posted May 6 2018 - 2:04 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
1. Location (on a map) of collection: Martin county Florida
2. Date of collection: 4/22/2018
3. Habitat of collection: dirt road
4. Length (from head to gaster): 4mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: red, like a fire ant
6. Distinguishing characteristics: it’s very red. So much I thought she was a fire ant worker
7. Distinguishing behavior: unknown
8. Nest description: unknown
9. Nuptial flight time and date:unknown

I collected her thinking she was a fire ant worker, but turned out I was wrong.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 6 2018 - 2:46 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

This is a Pheidole queen.

• LC3 likes this

#3 Offline Omni - Posted May 6 2018 - 3:38 PM

Omni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

The pictures are pretty dark, so its hard to get an idea. There are roughly 4  Florida Pheidole species that would match that. My best guess is Pheidole megacephala given the dirt road and red description. I could give a more positive ID with brighter photos of the head and body.

#4 Offline Shifty189 - Posted May 6 2018 - 5:17 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
I think these will be the best that I will be able to get with my set up. Thank you both for your replies.

Edited by Shifty189, May 6 2018 - 5:18 PM.

#5 Offline Omni - Posted May 6 2018 - 5:44 PM   Best Answer

Omni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Those should do! That's actually Pheidole floridana. They're highly distributed throughout Florida, have some good variation between majors, and are super manageable. Workers and majors are very small and the queen is very adaptable. A friend of mine has a colony that's lasted a year with VERY little maintenance. They kinda just do their thing. I love this species, enjoy!

I'd recommend looking at some pictures of this queen though (you can find many), their more orange (ish) thorax is a wonderfully easy way to identify them. Let me know if this doesnt seem to match, Florida has so many red-ish Pheidole it can be a nightmare to identify them without a close up.

Hope this helps! 

#6 Offline Shifty189 - Posted May 6 2018 - 6:30 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
That helps a lot. Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users