• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Western NY colony ID

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CNewton - Posted May 6 2018 - 2:27 PM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY
I have no pics, I don’t want to mess with the ones I caught. I’ll do the best I can. If I can get some pics, I will post.

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Western New York
2. Date of collection: 5/6/2018
3. Habitat of collection: Area of leaf litter and yard debris. Found in the bed of a truck after dumping the refuse.
4. Length (from head to gaster): Queen, approx: 8mm. Workers 3-4mm they looked similar to Camponotus, but without the long legs.
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Black, shiney.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Very slender, even the queen was thin, pretty sure they were nesting in a hollow twig.
7. Distinguishing behavior: fast. Even the queen was quick to run.
8. Nest description: Fairly sure it was a hollow twig. I found some larvae and workers inside one.
9. Nuptial flight time and date: N/A

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 6 2018 - 2:45 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

As you have likely anticipated, an identification will be essentially impossible without photographs. Based on your description, however, I might suggest Camponotus nearcticus. Compare these images with your queen.

• LC3 likes this

#3 Offline CNewton - Posted May 6 2018 - 3:50 PM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY
That looks about right! Thank you!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users