• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Around how many eggs can an ant queen lay (first gen)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsInSpace - Posted April 21 2018 - 10:17 PM

AntsInSpace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi guys

So from what I've read ant queens can have thousands upon thousands of eggs, but that doesn't explain why I'm only seeing queens lay a few eggs. I'm assuming this is because the process of laying eggs requires energy, and she doesn't want to lay too many eggs before the workers are born and start feeding her. 

Am I right to assume that ? 

#2 Offline Scrixx - Posted April 21 2018 - 10:31 PM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

Hi guys

So from what I've read ant queens can have thousands upon thousands of eggs, but that doesn't explain why I'm only seeing queens lay a few eggs. I'm assuming this is because the process of laying eggs requires energy, and she doesn't want to lay too many eggs before the workers are born and start feeding her. 

Am I right to assume that ? 

Yes. She has limited energy so the amount she lays is also limited. She also has to feed the larvae when they hatch without having anything to eat. Different species have different numbers. My Camponotus sansabeanus queens have about 5-12 eggs while my Solenopsis sp. has about 30~. It could be because of size difference or even how much food stores each queen has. Not all larvae are fed equally. If you catch multiple queens of the same species, it's easy to see size differences as well as abdomen/gaster size differences.

• AntsInSpace likes this

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#3 Offline Barristan - Posted April 21 2018 - 10:36 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Founding queens have to deal with limited resources, especially protein.

What would happen if a founding queen would lay 200 eggs? The eggs will develop into larvae. In order to grow larvae require protein. But a founding queen only has a limited amount of it available so there is no way she would be able to feed all of them sufficiently with protein to become workers. So in the worst case, all larvae might dye and then the queen after some time too.

That's why queen limits the number of eggs they lay after nuptial flight.

The number of eggs laid will increase with colony size, until it finally reaches the maximum a queen is able to produce in a specific time or it is limited by protein available to the colony in its foraging zone.

• AntsInSpace likes this

#4 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted April 21 2018 - 11:03 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
Ultimately, the initial batch of eggs is determined by queen health and species. However, there is almost always a general limit as to how many eggs are first produced by founding queens, even in the presence of the vast resources such as found in captivity. This number can range from less than a dozen to hundreds. In some instances, much of the eggs laid in the first brood end up feeding larvae.

I also think it’s important to note that the vast majority of ant species form colonies with a maximum worker population ranging from hundreds to a few thousand adults. This is a lot less than is sometimes perpetuated.
  • AntsInSpace likes this

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted April 22 2018 - 12:36 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Also a lot of ants are very capable when it comes to assessing the conditions they live in and will not produce more workers than they have space/food for (a few just explode and then try to break out of the setup at all costs when it becomes too small to support them though).

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#6 Offline AntsInSpace - Posted April 24 2018 - 7:47 AM

AntsInSpace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Thanks a lot guys. So it seems to be a balance between how much protein the queen has when she first nests, like did she leave her previous nest healthy and full, and if so then she will lay some eggs, but not too much as to prevent her from feeding them as they morph into larvae. 

One other thing, do the eggs turn into larvae without any input from the queen ? I understand that she will find a nesting place that is around the right temperature, and then I read that she will move the eggs around the nest but I'm not sure why she does that. Anyway do the eggs turn into larvae on their own ? quite weird to me. I mean I never thought it weird when I thought of bird eggs. But I take it the egg has the nutrients and what not for the egg to eventually move through the processes, but at the larvae point I understand they need to be fed ? how are they fed ? Are they fed from the larvae stage right through the pupae stage and then of course when they're adults ? 

#7 Offline Serafine - Posted April 24 2018 - 11:32 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

The queen moves the eggs around in the nest so they're always at the place with the most perfect conditions (preferred conditions of eggs, larval stages and pupae are different). Larvae are fed by the queen (later by the workers) with secretions produced by the queen's internal glands (or food from the workers' social stomachsm or even solid food items). The larvae have a sort of programmed development plan but the queen/workers can halt (or slightly accelerate) their development speed with chemical messages mixed into the food/gland secretions. Larvae eat mostly protein (eggs and pupae obviously don't eat anything), workers feed almost exclusively on sugars (since workers don't grow they need next to no protein).

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users