• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to trap formica ants invading house

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted April 12 2018 - 4:32 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDamariscotta, Maine
My friend has large formica workers scouring their house. They are absolutely everywhere and I was wondering if there is some way to trap the workers and find the queen without killing them? I'd love to have the colony but I have no idea where the nest is. Formica unfortunately do not form neat little lines that lead me home so tracking the nest down might be nigh impossible as they are all over this 2 story house. Anyone ever pull this off?

Edited by Naturenut1233, April 12 2018 - 4:33 AM.

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#2 Offline sgheaton - Posted April 12 2018 - 4:43 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

How does your friend go to sleep at night knowing there are holes in his house that are letting insects in his house?!?!? If I find a centipede in my bed, I'm burning down the place.

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#3 Online YsTheAnt - Posted April 12 2018 - 6:40 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Put down some bait outside the house at all sides, if you don't see somewhat of a trail, they are in the walls.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#4 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted April 12 2018 - 8:05 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
Is there any way to trap them without killing them? Tearing apart walls I'm guessing.....

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#5 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted April 12 2018 - 11:39 AM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I've never heard of Formica as a home invader. Though whether they're actually Camponotus or something else this is an infestation that should be dealt with, not a pet or wild animal you can simply catch and release. I'm actually for the use of raid in this instance. Those little bait traps they make should be enough to take care of the problem.

The only alternative here would be to set out actual food to get them to form foraging lines back to the holes they're coming in and out of, and then sealing them shut. And then hoping they don't find new ways in or devote time to removing the plaster or new wood put in place.

Edited by MrILoveTheAnts, April 12 2018 - 11:39 AM.

• gcsnelling likes this

#6 Offline antnest8 - Posted April 13 2018 - 4:05 PM

antnest8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMichigan

even though i'm an ant lover a believe that insects stay outside or in a setup. if their in my house someone is leaving and it is not me

have 1 camponotus queen

1 crematogaster queen

5 lasius umbratus queens

#7 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted April 13 2018 - 4:50 PM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
Lol, yeah I was a bit surprised at the amount of ants walking around that place. Every single room.

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#8 Offline antnest8 - Posted April 13 2018 - 5:13 PM

antnest8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMichigan

i might spray if i were your friend. i don't know how to catch them but their are ways to get them of them peacefully

have 1 camponotus queen

1 crematogaster queen

5 lasius umbratus queens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users