• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Oregon Ant Identification help

oregon queen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline punsandglory - Posted April 3 2018 - 9:58 PM

punsandglory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I found 8 ant queens(?) today near Mosier, Oregon, which is generally considered the border between central Oregon and Western Oregon. I found them on a dry slope with some sand and dirt and almost no (alive) vegetation, today, april 3rd.  6 have the orange head while the other 3 have a black head, I assume they're different species. Pictures with and without measurements -> 

https://drive.google...4ieKj_PQ3m6gXGH

Never gone looking for ants before, so fingers crossed they are actually queens, thanks for the help!

Edited by punsandglory, April 3 2018 - 10:07 PM.

#2 Offline punsandglory - Posted April 3 2018 - 10:06 PM

punsandglory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Fixed link.

Edited by punsandglory, April 3 2018 - 10:07 PM.

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted April 3 2018 - 10:44 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

http://www.formicult...t-a-new-thread/

Next time please follow the identification template and guide. It will make things easier for the both of us, plus more likely to get the experts' attention.

That being said these are all Camponotus major workers. Further information is required for an ID, possible candidates are C. semitestaceus, C. sansabeanus and possibly C. vicinus assuming they're around 14-16mm

#4 Offline punsandglory - Posted April 3 2018 - 11:11 PM

punsandglory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Sorry about the template thing, somehow missed it  %)

Wow those are big workers, I thought there was no way they were majors, kinda disappointing, but thanks for the help anyway!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oregon, queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users