• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mold in Dirt Ant Farm

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline UberDuber - Posted April 3 2018 - 7:09 AM

UberDuber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Hey guys,

I need a little advice. One of my pogonomyrmex barbatus colonies is well established in a dirt ant-farm style nest. However, there has been some minor mold growth about an inch and a half down in the nest. They usually put their seed stores down much further in the nest and when I add water from the top it doesn't reach the seeds, but I'm thinking they left some higher up and so they molded. I attached a picture showing where the mold is but I had recently watered the nest and when the dirt is wet you can't really see the mold. It also looks like they may have blocked off this tunnel when they noticed it because I haven't seen any ants venture through it.

My question is, should I try and block off this section of the nest and scoop out the dirt until I get out all the mold, or should I try to introduce some springtails or something to eat the mold? Or do I need to do anything at all? I would also appreciate any advice on how often to add water to a nest like this. The water never seems to penetrate very far down into the dirt, but adding any more than I do causes significant flooding. I assume some flooding isn't a big deal as it gets soaked up quickly, but it can't be great for them.

moldpic

Edited by UberDuber, April 3 2018 - 7:11 AM.

Keeping P. Barbatus, C. Penn., C. Discolor, and Atta Texana.

#2 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 3 2018 - 7:22 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

As you suggested, I would agree to add some springtails. They should deal with any mold issues. 

#3 Offline Hunter - Posted April 3 2018 - 7:31 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

sometimes I add in salt and a little water and it solves it for me

#4 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted April 3 2018 - 12:35 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
Springtails for sure. Let that portion of the nest dry out a bit to halt the mold growth, then add the springtails.

If you can, try and source the white “ant springtails”. You can often find them around the periphery of ant nests under rocks or logs; you only need a couple. Most of the commonly cultured species may not work.

I have the white ones in all my Pogonomyrmex badius colonies and they keep the tunnels spotless. Most of them hang around the seed chambers and breed constantly. The ants will try to catch them but the springtails can escape with ease so long as they have some room to do so.

#5 Offline UberDuber - Posted April 5 2018 - 5:39 AM

UberDuber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Thanks for the replies, guys! Definitely going with Springtails.

Do we have a sticky post or some links to springtail information? How to culture them, different types, etc?

Keeping P. Barbatus, C. Penn., C. Discolor, and Atta Texana.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users