• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Worker ID - Dallas TX - 26 Mar 18

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JohnTX - Posted March 26 2018 - 7:06 PM

JohnTX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Can anyone help ID these workers? 

I noticed 7 new ant mounds in my front yard today, all seeming to be the same species.  I had seen one or two similar colonies last year in the same area.  All mounds are under or around a large oak tree.

Close inspection shows a bunch of workers at each mound that seem to be "digging out."  

No winged ants present.  We are in the first really warm spell here in Dallas, with rain due tomorrow.  Each colony was doing the exact same thing: creating a mound a few inches away from the entrance to their next.  Some of the mounds were quite big (4x4 inches, 1-2 inches tall).

My guess is Acromyrmex.

Thanks!

1. Location of collection: front yard under oak tree

2. Date of collection 3-26.
3. Habitat of collection:  Dirt under oak tree in front yard
4. Length:  3-4 mm
5. Coloration: reddish brown
6. Distinguishing characteristics:  see pictures, lots of spines

yard2 3 26
yard 3 26

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted March 26 2018 - 7:09 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Looks like Trachymyrmex.

EDIT:

I'm confident this is Trachymyrmex. We just need a clearer picture of the face (for frontal lobes) and the side of the head. Although based on your location and your description of the large piles of dirt it probably is T. septentrionalis.

Edited by LC3, March 26 2018 - 7:36 PM.

• Spamdy likes this

#3 Offline JohnTX - Posted March 27 2018 - 4:25 PM

JohnTX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Thanks.  Had heavy rains today that turned their dirt piles into mud.  Will try to grab another when things dry out.

Excited to try to keep a fungus eater if I can catch one later this year.  Though, I have found little info on how to proper keep them (e.g. types of formicarium, etc.).  I am working the forum search function hard.  :)

#4 Offline Aaron567 - Posted March 27 2018 - 4:57 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Trachymyrmex spp. it is. Most likely septentrionalis since they're the most widespread and common

#5 Offline Dnail - Posted March 27 2018 - 5:43 PM

Dnail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationBandung, Indonesia

envy... no fungus eater in Indonesia  :girl_cray:

Colony:

2 Odontomachus aciculatus 

2 Polyrachis Dives

3 Camponotus sp

#6 Offline sericultivist - Posted March 30 2018 - 8:22 AM

sericultivist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California
I’m in the Dallas area right now and Trachymyrmex are out in storm doing nest renovations. Be sure to look out for their alates this summer!

#7 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted March 30 2018 - 12:59 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Really? I find that surprising. So there is fungus eaters in TN but not Indonesia.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, March 30 2018 - 1:00 PM.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#8 Offline LC3 - Posted March 30 2018 - 1:10 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Really? I find that surprising. So there is fungus eaters in TN but not Indonesia.

Fungus farmers are restricted to the New world, in other words the Americas. They do have the genus Proatta in South East Asia which despite not being a fungus farmer looks strikingly similar to Atta and Acromyrmex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users