Just thought I'd start a Journal on this bucket setup I made for my Mealworm Colony.
Mainly using it as an experiment bin but also to breed them up for feeders come spring/summer.
Here's a look at the screen ontop that helps with circulation so mold or condensation doesn't start:
The bucket itself is pretty large here's a typical "family" size Coffee Can [that I tore through in 25 days by myself]
I know you don't see the typical bedding material that most people use. I don't do it the same way other people do it. It's been about 2 years
since I started keeping them this way and they seem to be doing well. In fact the mealworms I originally got were supposed to be hormone
treated so they wouldn't be able to mate in the first place.
(also it looks like I smooshed some but no I gently placed the can in there, with nothing inside the can, the Coffee Can is part of what I use to get
an overview of the setup during recording sessions etc.)
Here's a video I made on them during the first day they were inside the setup:
All of the carrots are pretty much gone and replaced with the cucumber from the above pictures.
I'll provide more updates and stuff when I do other things with them.
Edited by dermy, March 26 2018 - 10:56 PM.