• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can a Queen live without workers?

lasius niger hibernation queen dead workers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Roy - Posted March 26 2018 - 1:40 PM

Roy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi, I have brought my Lasius Niger colony out of hibernation and now have only two workers (I did have 21). I will look into what I did wrong while they were in hibernation but for now, as I only have two workers and they have not come out of their formicarium to feed, i'm wondering if the queen will survive and why they have not come out to feed. I'm also wondering if I can introduce new workers to the tiny colony?

#2 Offline ZllGGY - Posted March 26 2018 - 1:44 PM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

yes and no the queen can survive without workers. depends on how long she's been out of the founding stage. while some peoples colonies I've seen have gone through 2 or 3 attempts she will eventually run out of reserves and you may have to put food in her setup to help her. introducing workers is possible but is very unlikely to happen, if she needs new brood then i would look for a similar species matureish colony and poke around for some of their brood/pupae and give her those as she is more willing to accept those than already matured workers

• Enderz likes this

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#3 Offline Zmagz - Posted March 26 2018 - 9:03 PM

Zmagz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Yeah, I recommend that you don't give her new workers and that you give her brood of another Lasius niger colony. If you can't do that, then I guess just feed them and try to get them back to where they were.

#4 Offline Enderz - Posted March 26 2018 - 9:19 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Good luck with this predicament, I would do as others have told you ant look for some Lasius brood nearby to put in with her.

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#5 Offline Roy - Posted March 27 2018 - 12:02 PM

Roy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Many thanks everyone for your feedback. I have moved the small formicarium into the arena where the food is. I will keep an eye on them and see what happens.

#6 Offline PwnerPie - Posted March 28 2018 - 8:53 AM

PwnerPie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Many thanks everyone for your feedback. I have moved the small formicarium into the arena where the food is. I will keep an eye on them and see what happens.

If there are only 2 workers, put the food into the formicarium/test tube directly. WIth that few workers, I doubt they will explore as they can't risk losing another one. Get the food (honey and protein, like meal worms) as close to them as possible. Even if it disrupts them, its fine, they'll get over it.

Keeper of:
1x Formica Pacifica
2x Camponotus Modoc
1x Tetramorium Immigrans
2x Lasius Sp

Founding:
3x Lasius Sp
2x Formica Argentea
2x Myrmica Rubra

GAN Farmer: 4 Colonies sold
Goal: Supply school science classes with colonies for learning.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius niger, hibernation, queen, dead workers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users