• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Idaho, USA --- Looking for help and advice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bern - Posted December 12 2021 - 7:56 PM

Bern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSW Idaho, USA

I am brand new at this and have enjoyed reading many articles on many topics.  It is now Dec., and I would like to start preparing both my head and equipment to catch some queens come spring.

I have many questions and would like to find someone in this area that I can ask some of my questions, that I think would be considered local types of information, like what types to expect, when do they fly, etc.

So, I guess I am looking for someone in this area, a club, or some other contact,  --   or someone who has knowledge of this type of country.

I am located in SW Idaho, USA , near the town of Caldwell.  This is basically desert country; however, I am on the edge of where there is major farming with a lot of irrigation cannels.  So, are there a lot of various species, due to the desert and farming communities within a few miles of my home?

Thank You,

• m99 likes this

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 12 2021 - 9:49 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

There are likely lots of Pogonomyrmex, Formica, and Camponotus around you.

Here is a map of what random nature people have found in Idaho:

https://www.inatural...&taxon_id=47336

• m99 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted December 18 2021 - 9:20 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Here’s a thread from earlier in the year that might help. 
https://www.formicul...-anting-thread/

I might also suggest looking up the universities in Idaho. Check their websites for their Departments of Entomology. They may have reading lists, bibliographies, or other information on the local species. 

There’s also this from The List of Handy Links under Important Topics at the top right of the Formiculture forums page. 
https://www.formicul...-anting-thread/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users