• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Idaho Anting thread

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntTitan - Posted March 23 2021 - 1:13 PM

AntTitan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationKuna, Idaho, USA

Hey all my fellow Idaho Ant keepers. I created this thread to discuss and talk about General ant keeping, Nuptial flights, colonies you have, and any other question or comments you may have.

• UtahAnts likes this

#2 Offline AntTitan - Posted March 23 2021 - 1:18 PM

AntTitan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

One of the questions I have, and one of the reasons I made this thread is that I am new to Idaho and I wanted to ask about when ant Nuptial flights happen here and some of the species the commonly fly here. Also If you guys could tell me what some polygynous ant species here are, that would be greatly appreciated. 

#3 Offline Otrebor707 - Posted May 8 2021 - 11:00 PM

Otrebor707

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationRedwood City
Hello same here ! New to the ID area looking for local anters . I found this https://antwiki.org/.../Cole_1934c.pdf
Colonies:
• Tᴇᴛʀᴀᴍᴏʀɪᴜᴍ Immigrans.
• Pʀᴇɴᴏʟᴇᴘɪs Iᴍᴘᴀʀɪs -Test Tube April 2021 💀 Nov.2021 😔
• Camponotus Hyatti - Test tube June 2021
• Solenopsis Molesta- Test Tube Aug 2021

#4 Offline AntTitan - Posted May 9 2021 - 10:00 AM

AntTitan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

cool

#5 Offline Otrebor707 - Posted June 3 2021 - 11:41 AM

Otrebor707

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationRedwood City
Found two queens . Nampa ID red was found today and the other late may * but not sure if is a Queen .

Attached Images

• BD16960B-0AC6-4BAD-B5AF-41119F35FF45.jpeg
  • A5D44086-5F72-4CC7-A9B7-2249B584C044.jpeg

Colonies:
• Tᴇᴛʀᴀᴍᴏʀɪᴜᴍ Immigrans.

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 3 2021 - 11:45 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

WOW! The first one appears to be Formica curiosa, a socially parasitic queen. Not sure what else in Idaho would have that coloration.

The second one is likely C. hyatti.

• Otrebor707 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#7 Offline Otrebor707 - Posted June 3 2021 - 12:28 PM

Otrebor707

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationRedwood City
Thank you Nick I googled and you r right to my eyes. So Formica requires a host colony right? . Can they be set in test tube .
Colonies:
• Tᴇᴛʀᴀᴍᴏʀɪᴜᴍ Immigrans.

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 3 2021 - 2:23 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Yes, they can be in a test tube. I sure would love to see a journal on that sp.!

• Otrebor707 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#9 Offline Bern - Posted December 20 2021 - 9:05 PM

Bern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSW Idaho, USA

Hi AnTitan   ---   I'm also fairly new to ID.    Also a newbe to anting, and have been doing quite a bit looking around on the net, Utube, and some other misc. places I have found on anting.  

At this point (12-20-21) I am getting ideas and sort of planning on being ready when it warms up come spring.  I hope to go looking for queens in several areas.  I do quite a bit of walking and checking out various areas to check when the weather is better.

Wondering what area you are located in.  I live very close to Marsing, with a Caldwell address.  Within a few miles, there is farmland, forest, high mountain, and desert.  I am hoping this will give me an opportunity to find some different species.

I would like to meet others who are in this same general area, and kick around a few questions and ideas.  Wondering how this thread is doing, and if there is some way where some sort of communications could be set up where people could contact others in a group.  I know there are many, just nothing set up at this time, that I know of.

Thanks,  Bern

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#10 Offline Chickalo - Posted December 21 2021 - 8:14 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

I've heard anting is also better with friends (plus you can share experiences).  If I remember correctly, Idaho has some pretty diverse regions to it.

Also, Idaho is a made up name.  Just wanted to point that out.

シグナチャーです。예.

#11 Offline antboyidaho - Posted June 11 2023 - 9:58 AM

antboyidaho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

I am also in the Idaho area! Nice to know there are other fellow ant keepers in Idaho. I was wondering if anyone had noticed less flights this year, I haven't seen many queen ants and was wondering if everyone else was noticing the same. I think that because it has been so cold and rainy the ants are delaying their flights until later in the year. Thanks for the responses! Just wanted to make sure that I haven't just missed the spring nuptial flights!

Colonies:
One Formica Podzolica queen in a test tube setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users