• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Has anyone successfully kept Lasius claviger.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted March 1 2018 - 3:54 PM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDamariscotta, Maine
I very much want a colony of yellow ants, and find tons of the, I believe, Lasius claviger all over my property. I believe I even have a few queens still, and had some success last year capturing some brood and workers and giving them to a queen. They got along and cared for her. I tried this with several queens and only one of them got along. The rest fought constantly and the queens killed them off one by one until I let them go. Unfortunately the one bunch that got along, the workers died off one by one over a couple months. I know they feed off of aphids in the soil and had hoped maybe honey water would be a suitable substitute and also provided a variety of protein sources. I would like to give it another try this year but just wanted to know if anyone has pulled it off. If so what did you do?

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#2 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted March 1 2018 - 6:38 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Canadian anter has done it, and I know a couple other people here have too.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted March 1 2018 - 7:23 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Ultraex and I have done it. I got them to worker stage where they died and I have no idea where ultra's at.

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 1 2018 - 7:49 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
I want the little golden yellow meadow ants... l.flavus .. Determined to find one this summer lol

Edited: or buy one off of reev lololol

Edited by StayLoki, March 1 2018 - 7:51 PM.

#5 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted March 1 2018 - 9:06 PM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDamariscotta, Maine
What did you feed them? Mine did great for a while, then all died off.

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#6 Offline StayLoki - Posted March 1 2018 - 10:05 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
I'm not trying to be d**k as I'm a noob but they need nector and then protein to feed to larvae.. I'd say stick to the basics of h20, honey dab and lunch meat or something. Ham, turkey are proven protein subs if u don't want to do crickets or other insects including aphids or fruit flies.. .or other ants

Edited by StayLoki, March 1 2018 - 10:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users