• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SF Bay Area Anters

• Please log in to reply
842 replies to this topic

#381 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 29 2019 - 6:57 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
No problem :)

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#382 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted January 29 2019 - 11:16 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA
alright guys, be honest. Who else gets embarrassed when people walk by and you’re on the ground searching for ants.

Edited by Jadeninja9, January 29 2019 - 11:16 PM.

• FSTP likes this

#383 Offline FSTP - Posted January 30 2019 - 1:40 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

alright guys, be honest. Who else gets embarrassed when people walk by and you’re on the ground searching for ants.

I do, especially when they pull their car over when I'm on  the side of the road and ask if I need help. But what is the worst is when some anonymous person calls the cops on you because they saw some guy rolling around  the side of the road with a glass pipe in his hand. This happened 3 years ago. I don't use test tubes to catch ants anymore needless to say, lol.

#384 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 30 2019 - 7:23 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

I sure do. Two days ago I told a guy what I was doing and he was super chill. The day before that I was being filmed by two people in a car :lol:.

#385 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted January 30 2019 - 9:32 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

I do, especially when they pull their car over when I'm on the side of the road and ask if I need help. But what is the worst is when some anonymous person calls the cops on you because they saw some guy rolling around the side of the road with a glass pipe in his hand. This happened 3 years ago. I don't use test tubes to catch ants anymore needless to say, lol.
Omg haha. Now i’m always going to try and be as stealthy as possible lol.

#386 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted January 30 2019 - 9:33 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

I sure do. Two days ago I told a guy what I was doing and he was super chill. The day before that I was being filmed by two people in a car :lol:.
That’s kind of crazy that they were filming you. I wonder what made them think that they needed to.

#387 Offline Rstheant - Posted January 30 2019 - 6:02 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
To make a meme. If you see the video of Ys when it goes viral, you’ll have the last laugh! :lol: No offense to YsTheAnt. Just a joke.

That’s kind of crazy that they were filming you. I wonder what made them think that they needed to.

• Jadeninja9 likes this

#388 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted January 30 2019 - 9:34 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

I usually look around school, so what I'm afraid of are charges for vandalism or "murdering dead branches." It's kind of embarrassing when some people walk by and they see you chipping off the corner of a wooden bench: Gift of Class of 2008 for some termites you found.

Edited by sirjordanncurtis, January 30 2019 - 9:34 PM.

• YsTheAnt likes this

#389 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 30 2019 - 9:39 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I too worry while looking around school. Also scared when I go night anting as the park I look at technically closes at night but the city employees just close the gate so you can park on the street and they don't care even if they see you in the park. Sometimes they even engage in friendly conversations with night walkers.

It's a common place to find other high schoolers partying and 1am :lol:.

Edited by YsTheAnt, January 30 2019 - 9:40 PM.

#390 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted January 31 2019 - 1:05 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
If I saw a queen at school on the ground, and there were people around, I’d have to walk right past it and just die on the inside lol.

#391 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted January 31 2019 - 9:51 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
There was rain last night and there will be more in the coming days. The next hot day will have lots of queens probably
  • YsTheAnt likes this

#392 Offline Antking123 - Posted February 2 2019 - 7:22 PM

Antking123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCA

I usually look like a drug dealer with my big rain-proof trench coat that has several pockets on the inside and outside. Its funny when people are puzzled watching me open my coat and see that I am just loaded with test tubes. :thinking:   

To make a meme. If you see the video of Ys when it goes viral, you’ll have the last laugh! :lol: No offense to YsTheAnt. Just a joke.

#393 Offline Antking123 - Posted February 2 2019 - 7:28 PM

Antking123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCA

This endless rain is killing me on the inside. When I finally have time to going outside, it rains, and its going to rain till Wednesday. The flights will probably be done by then unless the ants are smart enough to just delay them.  

#394 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 2 2019 - 7:30 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

This endless rain is killing me on the inside. When I finally have time to going outside, it rains, and its going to rain till Wednesday. The flights will probably be done by then unless the ants are smart enough to just delay them.

Nothing is gonna fly until it hits at the least 65F.

#395 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 8 2019 - 9:23 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Rain forecasted almost all next week with no days above 55F in sight

#396 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 9 2019 - 8:12 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Yeah... On the bright side, all this rain will probably trigger some Pogonomyrmex and Myrmecocystus flights in the hills and mountains.

Edited by YsTheAnt, February 9 2019 - 8:12 AM.

#397 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted February 9 2019 - 9:00 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Yeah... On the bright side, all this rain will probably trigger some Pogonomyrmex and Myrmecocystus flights in the hills and mountains.

Do you know any Myrmecocystus sites?

#398 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 9 2019 - 9:01 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Same place where you went to get Pogonomyrmex :). If anyone wants to know where message me and I'll give you the location, it's plenty big for many people just don't want to post it publicly.

#399 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 10 2019 - 1:54 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

I really hope my parents will be willing to drive me to mount Diablo for myrmecocystus then. Make sure to post the sightings when you find them.

#400 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 10 2019 - 10:48 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Same place where you went to get Pogonomyrmex :). If anyone wants to know where message me and I'll give you the location, it's plenty big for many people just don't want to post it publicly.

Wait oh crap was that your secret spot lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users