• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SF Bay Area Anters

• Please log in to reply
842 replies to this topic

#181 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 29 2018 - 7:20 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

The Pheidole here fly at night, then? I saw Pheidole californica, S. Molesta and S. Xyloni swarming yesterday, but nothing took off. I left because it was dark and I had no flashlight. Man, I need to get a blacklight. Tetramorium and Veromessor weren't swarming over there.

I believe so. I have seen them taking off right at sunset, and caught two on my black light.

For me I see them swarming just after dusk when it's still 80 degrees.

Yeah I noticed the same thing, swarming at dusk when it's 80 degrees. None of them took off though, as far as I could tell. And the Solenopsis xyloni simply just went back into their nests. A real shame too, since I really want xyloni.

What times were you seeing things come to your blacklights? I'm going out pretty far and I don't want to get stranded in the middle of a park again.
Running it right now, past two days though 9 onward seems to be good.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#182 Offline sericultivist - Posted May 29 2018 - 7:36 PM

sericultivist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

I feel so screwed over by the city, argentine ants own all the land here. I never even stood a chance at catching any interesting species growing up, for almost everything I've caught I have had to travel at least an hour outside of the city, which is hard when you don't own a car.

When I move up to Portland soon I'll definitely be free of argentine ants but I'm not going to have any of the cool species diversity that we have here in the Bay Area. It's a trade-off, I guess, but I'll always be jealous of the people living in the South Bay or basically anywhere outside of San Fran.

#183 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted May 29 2018 - 7:42 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Welp, if anyone sells Pheidole, I want

Edit: yeah...

Edited by sirjordanncurtis, May 29 2018 - 7:44 PM.

#184 Offline miksha - Posted May 29 2018 - 7:44 PM

miksha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I'm stupid...I was thinking of pogonomyrmex californica, not pheidole!

I feel so screwed over by the city, argentine ants own all the land here. I never even stood a chance at catching any interesting species growing up, for almost everything I've caught I have had to travel at least an hour outside of the city, which is hard when you don't own a car.

When I move up to Portland soon I'll definitely be free of argentine ants but I'm not going to have any of the cool species diversity that we have here in the Bay Area. It's a trade-off, I guess, but I'll always be jealous of the people living in the South Bay or basically anywhere outside of San Fran.

You don't have a car? I've seen different ant species just like 30mins out of the city. Yeah it does suck though, most places is just argentine ants around here :(

#185 Offline sericultivist - Posted May 29 2018 - 7:59 PM

sericultivist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

You don't have a car? I've seen different ant species just like 30mins out of the city. Yeah it does suck though, most places is just argentine ants around here :(

The only Pogonomyrmex you're likely to see in the Bay Area is P. subdentatus, though they are usually pretty common where they are present. I see ant species like Formica, Camponotus, and Aphaenogaster not too far outside of the city (there's even spots within the city where you can find these genera), but to find the warm weather liking species such as Pheidole, Solenopsis, Dorymyrmex, etc., you have to go further out most of the time.

#186 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted May 29 2018 - 8:32 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

Hahahaha nice finds guys :(

Alright lemme help you out.

Check out Coyote Point at night, best time to catch Camponotus Vicinus queens (though you will most likely have to wait till next season). Apparently there are also Aphaenogaster there, but not sure. Check black diamond mines in Antioch, heatwaves from September to November trigger Pogonomyrmex flights there. In March, there are Myrmecocystus testaceus flights too. If you want to exact location of where to find them in the park, PM me. Also, look on antweb! I am sure you will find areas with ant diversity near you there.

Also, blacklight near any undisturbed areas. The odds are that you will catch droves of Solenopsis molesta, Pheidole, and more.

After you locate a spot, it's all about monitoring the weather, checking for previous flight dates and conditions, and matching the two together. The Ants California Facebook group is very useful for getting flight data for the Bay Area, as lots of antkeepers.

I do all of the above things, and have caught 100+ queens this season.

Yeahhhhhhh my parents aren’t going to drag me these places at night for ants lol. This is probably why I can’t catch anything. My mom doesn’t even take me places anymore, my dad works a lot and he can usually only take me on the weekends. Even if I could drive myself they said they would absolutely never allow me to go by myself, even in the daytime.

Hahahaha nice finds guys :(

Alright lemme help you out.

Check out Coyote Point at night, best time to catch Camponotus Vicinus queens (though you will most likely have to wait till next season). Apparently there are also Aphaenogaster there, but not sure. Check black diamond mines in Antioch, heatwaves from September to November trigger Pogonomyrmex flights there. In March, there are Myrmecocystus testaceus flights too. If you want to exact location of where to find them in the park, PM me. Also, look on antweb! I am sure you will find areas with ant diversity near you there.

Also, blacklight near any undisturbed areas. The odds are that you will catch droves of Solenopsis molesta, Pheidole, and more.

After you locate a spot, it's all about monitoring the weather, checking for previous flight dates and conditions, and matching the two together. The Ants California Facebook group is very useful for getting flight data for the Bay Area, as lots of antkeepers.

I do all of the above things, and have caught 100+ queens this season.
Yeahhhhhhh my parents aren’t going to drag me these places at night for ants lol. This is probably why I can’t catch anything. My mom doesn’t even take me places anymore, my dad works a lot and he can usually only take me on the weekends. Even if I could drive myself they said they would absolutely never allow me to go by myself, even in the daytime. Thanks for offering help though lol.

#187 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 29 2018 - 8:43 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Ah well. Check pools, blacklight in your backyard at least. Oh, and if you go to look for pogonomyrmex, you can dig up the chambers a week after they fly with no difficulty, so consider looking for those.

#188 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted May 29 2018 - 8:46 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Btw, I was gonna call LC3 out for this, but he edited it :( . Pogonomyrmex are Californicus. Pheidoles are Californica.

#189 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted May 29 2018 - 8:48 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
I’m not even gonna try to fix that mess of a quote lol. Basically the only strategy that is even possibly for me is to once in a while go for a hike through a nature path and loop around once. And if I don’t find anything while walking along the path, well, that’s just tough luck for me cause my parents aren’t going to let me stop and search in one area for long. I don’t get to survey a particular area or anything, it’s “just keep walking.”

#190 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted May 29 2018 - 8:50 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
I should go on an anting trip with some of you guys so I can actually find stuff lol. It just can’t be far away or at night because my parents won’t take me.

Edited by Jadeninja9, May 29 2018 - 8:51 PM.

#191 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 29 2018 - 9:09 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

I should go on an anting trip with some of you guys so I can actually find stuff lol. It just can’t be far away or at night because my parents won’t take me.

Problem is, only things you will find during the day is formica and Pogonomyrmex. I only know of two places that have Pogonomyrmex, and neither is less than an hour away from you. Formica is your best bet for a daytime trip, or prenolepis. Formica can be a bit hard to predict, since there are so many species around here, each with their own required flying conditions.

#192 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted May 29 2018 - 9:43 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
I see

#193 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted May 30 2018 - 4:36 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

I’m not even gonna try to fix that mess of a quote lol. Basically the only strategy that is even possibly for me is to once in a while go for a hike through a nature path and loop around once. And if I don’t find anything while walking along the path, well, that’s just tough luck for me cause my parents aren’t going to let me stop and search in one area for long. I don’t get to survey a particular area or anything, it’s “just keep walking.”

Lmao

When people ask you why you're excited for college and/or get a driver's license, "I want to find ants."

#194 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted May 30 2018 - 5:46 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
Haha yep pretty much

#195 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted May 30 2018 - 9:19 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
This Saturday is going to be another very hot day. AKA another queenless opportunity for me lol.

#196 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 30 2018 - 9:33 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Look on streetlamps and blacklight in your own yard. Chances are you will find something man! If not, I'll give you a few queens if you want them :).

#197 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted May 30 2018 - 10:26 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Look on streetlamps and blacklight in your own yard. Chances are you will find something man! If not, I'll give you a few queens if you want them :).

I don't have a yard or backyard lol. And also, part of the fun for me is finding the queens myself but thanks for the offer lol. BTW, what watt is your blacklight?

#198 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 31 2018 - 6:14 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

I don't have a yard or backyard lol. And also, part of the fun for me is finding the queens myself but thanks for the offer lol. BTW, what watt is your blacklight?

Oh... Using a DC to AC converter on your car and running a blacklight should work too, but it's a lot of work. You would probably want to take it to a park nearby.

I believe my blacklight is 20 watts.

#199 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted May 31 2018 - 6:34 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

@YsTheAnt

How are you planning on setting up your tetramorium queens?

#200 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted May 31 2018 - 6:37 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

(nvm)

Edited by sirjordanncurtis, May 31 2018 - 6:38 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users